Thread: Sigma AF 300mm f2.8 EX APO HSM DG - Worth buying?

Default Sigma AF 300mm f2.8 EX APO HSM DG - Worth buying?

I have heard some great reviews from this lens, even from avian photographers and sports enthusiasts.
    I know many will roll their eyes to 'third party equipment' but with so many positive reviews regarding high qaulity optics and fast AF. I also saw good reviews when coupled with 1.4 and 2x TCs.
    The Nikkor VRII or Canon USM IS versions will most likely out-perform it, but for an affordable price for glass of this calibre it is quite encouraging!

I (like many others) probably will never be able to afford the Nikkor AF-S VR II version unless I win lotto, I was wondering if this would be a great alternative for a serious bird photographer with limited finances?

Any advice or experience with this particular glass would be greatly appreciated

Cheers,
    Jacci

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default Re: Sigma AF 300mm f2.8 EX APO HSM DG - Worth buying?

Hi Jacci,
    The Sigma costs around 4K new and can be compared to the Nikkor AF-S 300/2.8 I or II (the same price on second hand market) because they both don't have OS/VR.
    Personally for the same amount of money, I would go for the Nikkor for its better overall quality and better resale value...unless you can find a cheaper second hand Sigma... 8-)