Thread: Problems with reds/oranges blocking up

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default Problems with reds/oranges blocking up

One thing I've been having some issues with since I moved across from Olympus to Canon is with reds/oranges locking up in my images, thus losing fine feather detail. I've included a couple of examples with some EXIF data, hoping for some advice on how to avoid this from occurring.

ISO 800
    1/100 @ f7.1
    150mm
    0 EV
    Flash fired (flash compensation used, but not sure what value - Lightroom and XnView don't tell me. More than likely would have been dialed down something like -2)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20110604_maroondah_reservoir__MG_0271.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	150.9 KB 
ID:	15131

ISO 400
    1/250 @ f7.1
    275mm
    0 EV
    Flash fired (flash compensation used, but not sure what value - Lightroom and XnView don't tell me. More than likely would have been dialed down something like -2)

Name:	20110619_maroondah_reservoir__MG_0648.jpg 
Size:	188.9 KB 
ID:	15132

ISO 400
    1/80 @ f7.1
    320mm
    0 EV

Name:	20110619_maroondah_reservoir__MG_0650.jpg 
Size:	176.6 KB 
ID:	15133

OK, after posting the details of the images side by side, I'm assuming this is a result of the shutter speed being to slow?

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Probably best handled in Raw processing with a little follow up in PS Adam, reduce the red/orange saturation a little and the luminance and possibly move the hue a little towards yellow. Then use highlight recovery so you are not clipping in any of the red/orange areas. Then in PS try adding a little cyan to the reds in a selective colour layer. De saturation alone generally won't do the job as you end up with dull flat reds to get the detail showing up in the red channel.
    Chris Ross
    Helensburgh NSW
    www.aus-natural.com
    Instagram: @ausnaturalimages