Thread: Thanks Button

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Default Thanks Button

Hi all - I know there has never been any "rules" etc about the THANKS button but might be worth starting a bit of a discussion about it.
    It seems that people are using it perhaps a bit like a "LIKE" button on Facebook which really isn't the intention. "Thanking" the original poster of an image rather than commenting isn't the aim or the way to use this button. Much better to actually comment.
    Thanking people for a useful or helpful post - something that has taught you something etc is really what it is for. Over using it just makes it irrelevant.
    More than happy for people to discuss this here
    Cheers, Dave

www.davidstowe.com.au WORKSHOPS

Aus Life List IOC= 684 - Grey Honeyeater
    "So God created every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:21

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

I was kinda expecting this topic to come up.
    I thank people when they have given me good advice or I learnt something new off them such as an ID point of a bird. I also thank them when they have taken time to write up a useful educational topic.
    Dave I agree with you that commenting on a shot is much better than merely thanking the poster.
    Cheers, Owen.

Flickr

Aus life list: 472 (Southern Royal Albatross, Port Fairy Pelagic, Victoria)

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

I use it when I have been given some valuable advice..ie, the replies to my hide questions.
    The voices in my head may not be real, but they come up with some great ideas..

Cheers Rev.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Quote Originally Posted by David Stowe View Post
    Hi all - I know there has never been any "rules" etc about the THANKS button but might be worth starting a bit of a discussion about it.
    It seems that people are using it perhaps a bit like a "LIKE" button on Facebook which really isn't the intention. "Thanking" the original poster of an image rather than commenting isn't the aim or the way to use this button. Much better to actually comment.
    Thanking people for a useful or helpful post - something that has taught you something etc is really what it is for. Over using it just makes it irrelevant.
    More than happy for people to discuss this here
    I totally agree. Commenting is way more beneficial to the person who wrote the comment in the first place as it does give them some feedback on whatever point they were trying to make. But on the other hand, not everyone feels comfortable about commenting as they may feel shy/insecure/embarrassed or whatever. So for them using the thanks button is their way of acknowledging to a particular person that they liked/agreed with their post.

I will thank every poster who comments on a picture I upload here. Is that considered too excess a use of this feature? Personally I don't think so, as I feel if people take the time to comment on my image, then the least I can do is say thanks to them for doing so.

I have to admit though, my first reaction to reading your post was to just click the Thanks button underneath it!

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Young View Post
    I will thank every poster who comments on a picture I upload here. Is that considered too excess a use of this feature? Personally I don't think so, as I feel if people take the time to comment on my image, then the least I can do is say thanks to them for doing so.
    Mark,

You can do a thank you to every one via a post to your thread without using the Thank You button.
    Cheers,
    Geoff

reposts welcome

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Gates View Post
    Mark,

You can do a thank you to every one via a post to your thread without using the Thank You button.
    That's what I used to do before the Thanks button feature was enabled. Now I find using the button is great if you are in a rush and don't have a lot of time to spend typing.

7. The following user says thank you to Mark Young for their reply:

Ákos Lumnitzer (07-01-2012)

Image Reposts
    No, don't edit

Exactly Mark. I agree with your last comment. For me, it's easier to say "thanks" for looking and commenting, than it is to write another post at the end. It's easy on the run. I certainly don't use it the same way as the "like" button on FB. Even if a person does not offer any suggestion or help, but actually bothers to comment something, I appreciate that and say thanks. So thanks for looking!

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

I'm now a little confused myself as to how you should use the Thanks button . To those people I have not thanked I would like to say thanks for taking the time and interest to provide feedback on my pictures"

I will normally only Reply if I have something additional to add or clarify. If I dont reply I would still like to give the person who commented an acknowledgement of appreciation of their comment.

Maybe there should be a few rules on how to use Thanks! THANKS
    Richard Jackson
    http://www.owlphotographer.com/
    your comments and suggestions are welcomed

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Richard I wouldn't feel bad about not "thanking" everyone for commenting on your images. I can understand where Mark and Akos are coming from but i personally think that a quick thank you post at the end is better. Not a big deal for me though except that it potentially devalues it by being used too often. Same with just agreeing with someones comment. If you have learnt something then great but if its just a shared opinion I don't believe the THANKS button is the correct response.
    Our biggest issue is people simply clicking the thanks button in response to someones image post. Thanks doesn't really seem appropriate - a comment is definitely the way to respond to someones image.
    Cheers, Dave

www.davidstowe.com.au WORKSHOPS

Aus Life List IOC= 684 - Grey Honeyeater
    "So God created every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:21

Image Reposts
    No, don't edit

Dave, maybe take out the THANKS button to avoid the confusion? What do you think?
    I've e-mailed you directions to Bushells Lagoon BTW.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Personally, I tend to agree with Mark and Akos - it's nice to be able to thank somebody on the fly, especially for me who is always struggling for free time. I think that thanking somebody using the thanks button is a bit more personal than a blanket message at the end thanking everyone.

If rules are going to be created for the use of the Thanks button, I reckon just get rid of it altogether. I think it is great that it is being used, but I can see introducing rules on when/how to use it will just make the whole thing too confusing and people will not bother using it at all.

Perhaps the "thumbs up" symbol next to the thanks button is not the way to go as this is the same symbol used as the "Like" button on facebook - just a thought
    Aust. Life List (IOC) - 315 (Rufous Owl- 11/09/2014)
    Dale Mengel Photography - a work in progress!
    Follow me on Facebook
    Check out my Birding Blog