Thread: Camera not capturing images

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default Camera not capturing images

Howdy All.
    I have a question for all the technically minded toggers out there. . . . I have a 50D with a SanDisk Extreme III CF card installed and I have been noticing lately that it isn't capturing all the photos I take. I first began to suspect this several months ago and confirmed it at work this week when a Spiny-cheeked Honey-eater landed to get a drink, I know I fired 8 shots off, and when I checked the images I only had 4. I didn't do this with burst mode but pressed the shutter button each time, I was quite annoyed by this as I only got one image of the bird that was worth keeping and as it was a first timer for me didn't help the matter. Does anyone know what would/could be causing this? Camera has taken around 9000 images, never been dropped, gotten wet or been exposed to sudden temp changes, it does fly as carry on luggage every second week and it gets used in 40+ temps and the body as well as the lens get quite hot to the touch. I have formatted the card a few times to see if that stops the problem but it hasn't, I have not tried a new card yet so it could be that but the fact it writes other images and only misses some occasionally I don't think it is the card. Any ideas as to what could be causing it and should I look at upgrading it or sending it in for a service?
    Cheers
    Andrew
    Cheers.
    A.J

Image Reposts
    Please ask

First thing to do is try it with another card. No idea what could be causing it, could be bad contacts on the card, but if a different card fixes it............ The camera should give some sort of warning though if it is unable to write.
    Chris Ross
    Helensburgh NSW
    www.aus-natural.com
    Instagram: @ausnaturalimages

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Check the battery grip connection too Andrew. I gave up buying grips after my 20D as i had heaps of issues including missing the odd shot when the connection went loose. One of the big things i love about a 1 series body.
    More likely the card but both are options.
    Cheers, Dave

www.davidstowe.com.au WORKSHOPS

Aus Life List IOC= 684 - Grey Honeyeater
    "So God created every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:21

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Quote Originally Posted by David Stowe View Post
    Check the battery grip connection too Andrew. I gave up buying grips after my 20D as i had heaps of issues including missing the odd shot when the connection went loose. One of the big things i love about a 1 series body.
    More likely the card but both are options.
    Funny you should say that David, I did check the grip but it didn't feel loose to me and the grip hasn't been off the camera since I put it on. I am in the middle of debating whether or not I go for a 500F4 IS or a 1D series body. . . . the 500 would be nice, but I have a 400 that works fine on the 50D so I can't see it not working on a 1 series body. Might wait to see how much the 1D X is going to cost mmmmmmmmmmm. . . .decisions decisions
    Andrew
    Cheers.
    A.J