Thread: Lightening

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default Lightening

I was hoping for some tips on the above. I have never attempted this before and as we are due for a thunder and lightening storm in the next couple of days, I was hoping to get my first shots.
    Thanks.
    The voices in my head may not be real, but they come up with some great ideas..

Cheers Rev.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Hi Ray, if I was feeling like a smart a--e I'd write a little photoshop tutorial on the use of curves for lightening images, but as you want to photograph lightning I'll tell you what I do.
    ideally you want a storm front thats dry, either before or after it, as its hard to photograph through rain. I've only ever captured bolts at night or in reasonably dark conditions because I rely on doing long exposures with a bolt occurring during the interval. My son does a fair bit of this for daylight bolts you might be lucky with a high frame rate failing that there are ' lightning triggers out there to set your camera off when a bolt occurrs.)Click image for larger version. 

Name:	email7329_filtered.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	221.1 KB 
ID:	14873

This image was taken at 30secs f13 ISO 100. The aperture and ISO you juggle to try and get some ambient light / correct exposure of the bolt, the trick is keeping the long exposure to give you best chance of getting a bolt. If you get into this sort of photography you might be tempted into more post processing. If there were tons of bolts around you could shorten the exposure. I worked for over 25 years as a paramedic, I'll leave with the words of a workmate, " I've never been to anyone bitten by a shark but I've been to quite a few people killed by lightning.
    Kind regards Trevor.

3. The following user says thank you to Trevor Murray for their reply:

Ray Walker (30-12-2011)

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Thanks Trev. The thunder storm seems to have petered out, but hopefully it will crank up again at night fall. That's one hell of a pic.. Would I use "bulb" ?, or the settings you mentioned on some other setting.?
    " I've never been to anyone bitten by a shark
    It has been happening down here with frightening regularity..
    The voices in my head may not be real, but they come up with some great ideas..

Cheers Rev.

Image Reposts
    Please ask

You want a lightning trigger Ray, Mike O over on AFN announced he was selling them earlier this year, think the prices are quite reasonable, he does some great lightning photography. Here's a link:

http://australasiaforum.net/australa...?topic=11255.0
    Chris Ross
    Helensburgh NSW
    www.aus-natural.com
    Instagram: @ausnaturalimages

6. The following user says thank you to ChrisRoss for their reply:

Ray Walker (30-12-2011)

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Hi again I don't use bulb, maybe Manual mode, or Av and juggle ISO and aperture to get the required shutter speed. These same long exposure tripod method works for fireworks shots as well.
    Kind regards Trevor.