Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FeatherWiki *NOW ONLINE*

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details
    Blog Entries

Default FeatherWiki *NOW ONLINE*

FeatherWiki, our member-editable birding and bird photography resource is now online. You will find the link to access the front end of FeatherWiki in the navbar at the top of every forum page. All registered members are free to read the information within FeatherWiki, however to be a contributor you need to have been a member of Feathers and Photos for a minimum of 30 days and have 50 posts to your account.

There are a few tutorials to get you started on; Uploading Images, Adding Google Maps, Creating articles in the Australian Bird Guide and Creating articles in the Location Guide. You will also find a section called Sandpit (test area), this section is especially for new contributors to experiment with creating and editing articles and to become familiar with the software's features. The software used by FeatherWiki is called VaultWiki and you can find a complete user manual for contributors HERE, should you want more detailed information.

Of course being a Wiki, not only can you add your own articles but you can also edit and add to articles that already exist in FeatherWiki. It's a bit sparse at the moment, so I look forward to everyone's contributions so we can build a comprehensive collection of information and images of Australian Birds.

Happy Holidays!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FeatherWikifrontend.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	91.5 KB 
ID:	14778

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Hi Richard - this is great - Ive been having a good look - Im a bit nervous Im doing the right thing but will post something soon cheers David Taylor

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

I'm really excited about writing up some info, but hopefully others can add images for me!

Good work Richard!
    Max Breckenridge
    Gladesville NSW http://fortheloveof-birds.blogspot.com.au/ (Josh and I)
    Life List: ~730
    Aus List: 529 - Black-eared Cuckoo (Teridgerie)
    2013 List: ​284 - Spotted Quail-Thrush (Coonabarabran)

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Great innovation Richard. Look forward to watching it grow with information
    Cheers, Owen.

Flickr

Aus life list: 472 (Southern Royal Albatross, Port Fairy Pelagic, Victoria)

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

What a great Xmas present you've given us all Rich Look forward to seeing it evolve

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

This looks neat-o!

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Wonderful initiative Richard.
    regards Geoff

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

What a great resource Rich and well done on getting this together. Something all birders will really appreciate, especially as it grows. Thank you.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Im a tad surprised at the slow take up on Wikifeather so far - very little contribution or activity from members in the Featherwiki area. Ive loaded a number of location guides tonight - hope other members begin to contribute - each takes a little work but once you get the hang of the templates its pretty straight forward. Rich put heaps into this so reckon we need some action guys!

I notice when you contribute to Wikifeather it doesnt come up on the latest Forum posts panel - a pity i think.

cheers

David Taylor

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Good on you Dave! Great work thanks mate!
    Cheers, Dave

www.davidstowe.com.au WORKSHOPS

Aus Life List IOC= 684 - Grey Honeyeater
    "So God created every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:21

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

9I've been writing something to add, but did not add it when I first wrote it as I wanted to include an audio file however the 300kb file size limit I've found to be much too restrictive with the type of audio file I have. It's fine for images, but might pose a challenge with sound files like that. Is there a way to adjust the limit for varying file types?
    Reposts welcome =)

Blog- Close Encounters of the Bird Kind. Updated 28/05/2014 "Courting Cuckoos"

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Quote Originally Posted by Bec Z View Post
    9I've been writing something to add, but did not add it when I first wrote it as I wanted to include an audio file however the 300kb file size limit I've found to be much too restrictive with the type of audio file I have. It's fine for images, but might pose a challenge with sound files like that. Is there a way to adjust the limit for varying file types?
    Bec i think if we start having bigger files we will run into more issues with database size and bandwidth/page load times etc which we are always battling with unfortunately.
    Cheers, Dave

www.davidstowe.com.au WORKSHOPS

Aus Life List IOC= 684 - Grey Honeyeater
    "So God created every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:21

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details
    Blog Entries

Awesome work Dave! The contributions you've made to the QLD section are fantastic mate!

Quote Originally Posted by Bec Z View Post
    I've been writing something to add, but did not add it when I first wrote it as I wanted to include an audio file however the 300kb file size limit I've found to be much too restrictive with the type of audio file I have. It's fine for images, but might pose a challenge with sound files like that. Is there a way to adjust the limit for varying file types?
    I don't really think there's any need to go for a larger file size for a sound bite of a bird calling. You can very easily keep an mp3 file under this file limitation of you edit and save it appropriately. There's no need to use high bitrates, something like 128kbps or even 96 kbps would give you a small file size and the quality would be perfectly acceptable.

If you're on a Windows PC you can use something like Audacity to chop up and edit your sound file and then save it as an mp3. You'll need the LAME mp3 codec for Audacity for saving as mp3, info on downloading and installing HERE.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by David Taylor View Post
    I notice when you contribute to Wikifeather it doesnt come up on the latest Forum posts panel - a pity i think.
    Any new articles created in FeatherWiki will now be displayed in the side panel. Thanks for the feedback Dave!

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Hi Richard - how do I create a map in wikifeather that shows as a map - Ive been putting links to google maps but notice how you are embedding them - how to?

cheers

David Taylor