Thread: Shorebird, wader ID

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default Shorebird, wader ID

Via email I was discussing Wader Identification with Pam Handyside. Pam mentioned that it would be good to post useful information about resources for IDing these birds.

The attached link is to Birds Australia's Shorebird 2020 website. Being part of the Beach Nesting Birds project I've been aware of this site for ages and it has been remiss of me not to have mentioned it before. I suspect many of you are already aware of its existence but it is a handy guide for newbies and those struggling with wader ID.
    I thoroughly enjoyed doing the quizzes.

I also note there is an iPhone, iPod, Android app available for free download from the site.

http://www.birdlife.org.au/projects/shorebirds-2020
    Last edited by Richard Hall; 05-12-2012 at 09:16 AM. Reason: updated weblink
    Cheers,
    Geoff

reposts welcome

2. The following 7 users say thank you to Geoff Gates for their reply:

Barbara O'Connor (10-09-2012), David Stowe (19-12-2011), George Pergaminelis (03-01-2012), Heyn de Kock (20-12-2011), Mark Young (20-12-2011), Owen Lishmund (03-01-2012), Richard Hall (20-12-2011)

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

The MELBOCA Photography group will be having a wader identification study night in March followed by a day at Werribee in March - dates yet to be finalised - led by John Barkla, who will no doubt have Fred Smith with him at Werribee. If any of the Vic. members would be interested in joining us as guests, please let me know and I will check with John that this would be o.k. Numbers and access to Werribee might be an issue. I'm also not sure yet where the study night will be as I'm not sure what facilities there are at the B.A. offices in Carlton which will be the headquarters for BirdLife.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Thanks, Geoff. A further resource that I have found useful is http://www.sunbittern.com/publications.html . They have two publications available for free download.
    Cheers,

George

Life List : 481 (Southern Cassowary, Etty Bay, QLD, Oct., 2016)

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Just in case there are any new Vic. members interested, the BirdLife Melbourne Photography group is having a short wader study course. This will be led by John Barkla. The lecture evening will be at the BirdLife National Office in Carlton on Wednesday, February 29, and a follow-up outing to Werribee at 8.30 on Saturday, March 3. Please contact me if you are interested in joining us.
    Last edited by Sonja; 08-02-2012 at 02:29 PM.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Hi all,

FYI, http://www.shorebirds.org.au/ is no longer active.

All shorebird information and education materials are now accessed through http://www.birdlife.org.au/projects/shorebirds-2020, including the online database.

In terms of Shorebird ID, I have a range of materials that I can send out to interested individuals or groups for no charge. You can either email me directly or send me a message through here.
    DRW Photography
    Follow me on Facebook and Instagram

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Thanks for the update Dan.
    Cheers,
    Geoff

reposts welcome