This will be the last week (week ending 25th December at 9am) of IOTW for the year and IOTW will not return again until mid January. Between Xmas and then, voting will be open for IMAGE OF THE YEAR with instructions on how to vote being released very soon. I've really enjoyed all the winning images for this year and its a great way of giving recognition in a field where your efforts are not often rewarded...not by the birds at least
Well done to all members as well for their contributions and also for picking up the voting process with ease.

This week was phenomenal in terms of the standard and variation of the bird images posted.

Normally I would leave my vote until last and decide on any ties but this week I simply could not pick a winner between the two leading entries so it is with great pleasure that I announce the winners as being Shelley for her impressive action shot of Great crested Grebes fighting and also to Anna Billingham for her exquisite image (her first post too ) of a Crimson Finch. Well done to both of you and good luck everyone for the last IOTW for the year.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8369-Edit.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	287.4 KB 
ID:	14600
Bold composition, wonderful colours and bird.

Amazing

Great composition and technique.

I really like the asymmetric setting, with stark, sharp foreground of the bird and its perch, and the completely OOF background. The combination of colours is really striking as well.
Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6498332041_eaa5dcdedd_b.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	287.0 KB 
ID:	14601
Just a wonderful action shot, well composed, exposed and good details throughout.

An incredibly unique shot...well done

Great action which most of us will never see. Sharp and well exposed too.

Just amazing!
Other nominated images were as follows:-

Rod Warnock - Brown Falcon

Chris M - both Pink eared Duck images were nominated

Shelley- Great crested Grebe portrait

Graham Collins- Striated Pardalote pair