Thread: What do you use for working with NEF's ?

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default What do you use for working with NEF's ?

Hi to all (any???) Nikon digital users out there. I'm currently taking NEFs and JPEGS together in my d700, and use the JPEG pic to work on, at the moment with GIMP, and my NEFs go to a separate hard drive. As a very new user to digital...my daughter is my saviour here...what is a good system for PP-ing?
    Is Photoshop OK with NEFs? We could get that on student rates, provided it works ok for the cost, or is there a better system?

Thanks
    John D

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Adobe Camera Raw is about as good as it gets and seems to be the standard for RAW conversions, reagrdless of manufacturer. You could use the nikon software but it is generally regarded as clunky and a resource hog. PS can be steep learning curve of course, but a lot less clunky than the GIMP, I've used the GIMP and while it works it doesn't seem straight forward in use to me, but again I've little incentive to try to learn as I use PS with ACR.
    Chris Ross
    Helensburgh NSW
    www.aus-natural.com
    Instagram: @ausnaturalimages

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

I personally would look at buying Lightroom 3 rather than Photoshop, lightroom uses the same ACR engine as PS but you also get DAM (Digital Asset Managment). I do own and use PS but I would use less than 1% of the features in PS. When first using LR it's hard for some to get their head around how it works (me included) but it is easy once you realise how it works. The main concept is that you aren't working on the actual image in LR....so you can go wild without hurting the original file (unless you delete it from the drive).

One other thing you should be aware of, all your settings in camera such as picture control settings, active D lighting etc...don't get recognised by Adobe when shooting RAW. This doesn't mean a lot really because you still process the RAW image like any other it's just that you don't get any benifits from the in camera settings.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Hi John, hooray for Nikon users and what a good question!

I now take all my pics in NEF RAW and convert them to Adobe DNG after several years of ruining many otherwise good photos because I shot them in JPG. Currently I use Adobe Photoshop CS5 which comes with Adobe Camera Raw which I use for initial processing of my NEF files.

I am fairly new at digital processing and there are heaps of photo editing programs out there, so I cant claim to know which are the best. I use my daughter's student version of Photoshop CS5 which was very cheap compared to the full priced one. I like Photoshop but it has millions of features I would never use so is way over the top for my needs!

I have also heard good reports about Lightroom but have not used it.
    Richard Jackson
    http://www.owlphotographer.com/
    your comments and suggestions are welcomed

Image Reposts
    No, don't edit

You only need very minimal use of Photoshop (since you have it) to get the most out of your images Richard, once you can work out which adjustments are needed.

Image Reposts
    No, don't edit

I too shoot NEF's and convert them in ACR to DNG.I do all my PP in Elements 9 which comes with ACR.I used CS 2 in the past until the old PC died.Elements is good for most processing although it doesnt have Bridge which was awesome for batch processing and file renaming etc etc.Will get CS again when funds allow.

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Download the latest Lightroom 4 beta which will be free until the end of March. Way long enough for you to get a feel for how it works and to realise that its excellent!
    Way better than Bridge for batch corrections and file renaming etc plus an amazing amount of adjustments that you will use all the time for a lot less than PS in cost.
    Cheers, Dave

www.davidstowe.com.au WORKSHOPS

Aus Life List IOC= 684 - Grey Honeyeater
    "So God created every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:21

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Geoff if you had CS2 you should be able to get CS5 for the upgrade price, but only up until CS6 comes out, you only need the CS2 serial number.
    Chris Ross
    Helensburgh NSW
    www.aus-natural.com
    Instagram: @ausnaturalimages

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

I shoot everything in NEF (as a Nikon user as well) and process using Lightroom 3. I love that program. Although it does slow up a bit if the catalogues get to full. It makes it a lot easier to savagely delete whole sequences and rubbish photos. Very liberating!

Anything new and amazing in LR4 David?
    Cheers,
    H

https://twitter.com/Manic_Henry
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/54876436@N08/

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrurus View Post
    Anything new and amazing in LR4 David?
    Haven't had a chance to dowload it yet Henry - but improvements to adjustments/recovery etc plus ability to edit video. I think there was a good review on dpreview or somewhere that went through changes.
    Cheers, Dave

www.davidstowe.com.au WORKSHOPS

Aus Life List IOC= 684 - Grey Honeyeater
    "So God created every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:21

Image Reposts
    No, don't edit

I shoot in NEF and open all my files using Nikon Capture NX2 for doing basic adjustments and exposure.
    I save the files in Tiff and then do the rest of the PP with PSCS3.
    http://www.plottier.net
    http://arthur-plottier.megashot.net/
    My gear: Nikon D300s, lens and Land Rover Defender

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Nikon user. Only RAW now with CS5/Bridge. Too old to change. Yes, PS has way more stuff than you'll ever need for basic adjustments, but it's a 'one stop shop' for me now.

So many people swear by LR (but then usually add that they finish in PS)
    My Equipment: D7000, D90, 300mm f/4, 1.4 & 1.7 TC, Tamron 16-300mm, Coolpix S31, iPhone 6s, CS6, Mac
    My Flickr