Thread: Any thoughts on tripod leg covers??

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default Any thoughts on tripod leg covers??

Hi all
    I've got a set of Gitzo G5541 legs arriving from the US any day now, and wonder what is the best way to cover them, so as to make it a bit more comfortable when lugging about in the bush. Currently using a Gitzo G326 that I've covered the legs up in a cheap $5 rubber bath mat and some gaffer tape...still, the hardness of the legs comes through....
    Anyone got a way of covering them, so as to have some sort of comfort in the padding? - as well as being discreet in coloration - no bright blues/reds/greens to scare off the birds!!
    Thanks
    John D

Image Reposts
    Please ask

I've got some Leg Coat leg covers, help a bit but you still feel em. I recall talking to someone about a pod pad which was reported to be good:

http://www.naturescapes.net/store/po...eavy-gear.html

Have a look at the detailed images, third in series, you could probably make rig similar. I've thought about getting one, but haven't as yet.
    Chris Ross
    Helensburgh NSW
    www.aus-natural.com
    Instagram: @ausnaturalimages

Image Reposts
    No, don't edit

My mate has bought some wrap-around stuff from Bunnings and likes it. I doubt that colors will scare the birds off. Your presence will do that far quicker.

Image Reposts
    Please ask

I bought some rubber tube insulation which is perfect and cost $10 from Bunnings. I must admit that i also want a pad for around the yop of the tripod as that is where it sits on my shoulder.
    Cheers, Dave

www.davidstowe.com.au WORKSHOPS

Aus Life List IOC= 684 - Grey Honeyeater
    "So God created every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:21

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

When I was in Bunnings, I couldn't find any tubing.....what section did you find it in?? I'd looked in the plumbing area, as I thought there'd be something for insulating copper pipes and whatnot - maybe next time I visit, I'll ask someone for help....!!!
    Gitzo 5541 has now arrived, it's not as heavy as I'd imagined, and the CF legs don't 'feel' as hard as the aluminium legs..no yet had a chance to schlep it about in the field. I looked at the cover that Chris sent a link to, and to me I lean the 'pod higher on my shoulder - if I have it low, near the tripod head, the attached camera/lens bumps against my hat.....grrrrr....!!!
    Thanks
    John

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Try Clark rubber (possibly Vic only). They have exactly what you'll need.

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Hi John
    I had to ask a couple of people from memory at BUnnings! Not knowing exactly what it was used for didn't help but it was in the far back right corner
    Printed on the side is:
    "INSUL-ZIP No M09025 Size 9mm WALL x 25mm. ID.RY1129"
    Hope that helps anyway
    It is conveniently split so you just need a cable tie to hold it on. Certainly heaps better than nothing and alot cheaper than lens coat.

Quote Originally Posted by John64 View Post
    When I was in Bunnings, I couldn't find any tubing.....what section did you find it in?? I'd looked in the plumbing area, as I thought there'd be something for insulating copper pipes and whatnot - maybe next time I visit, I'll ask someone for help....!!!
    Gitzo 5541 has now arrived, it's not as heavy as I'd imagined, and the CF legs don't 'feel' as hard as the aluminium legs..no yet had a chance to schlep it about in the field. I looked at the cover that Chris sent a link to, and to me I lean the 'pod higher on my shoulder - if I have it low, near the tripod head, the attached camera/lens bumps against my hat.....grrrrr....!!!
    Thanks
    John
    Cheers, Dave

www.davidstowe.com.au WORKSHOPS

Aus Life List IOC= 684 - Grey Honeyeater
    "So God created every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:21

Image Reposts
    Please ask

The stuff is used for insulating hot water pipes, comes in one metre lengths at least at the Bunnings i was in, so it'll be in plumbing, near the copper tube. Clark rubber will have similar but generally charge quite a bit. The stuff I saw was quite soft so would compress easily.

I find carrying a super tele on a CF the "balance" point has the lens right behind your head if the legs are fully extended.
    Chris Ross
    Helensburgh NSW
    www.aus-natural.com
    Instagram: @ausnaturalimages

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Thanks to all for the tips on where to find it, I've got some black foam rubber tubing from Bunnings, yep it's in the plumbing section - I needed to ask.....!! and comes in 1 metre lengths - the Gitzo 5541 needed the 38mm sized K-Flex and it just fits over the top leg without having to cut it open- a fairly tight fit getting it over the top twist lock. It is fairly spongy, and I'll see how it goes comfort-wise next outing. Gee, the CF tripods are nice and light.....

John