Thread: Toorbul?

Tony Hansford Guest

Default Toorbul?

Can I get away with using a 400mm at Toorbul or would that be too short?

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

I've shot with a 400mm with a 1.4X and had rather good success there Tony. One of my clients uses a 200mm with 2x and gets some good shots from time to time. If you sit it out at the roost (down near the mangroves or lay flat on the mound) you could get some good shots. My problem is always that I never get a clean shot of a single bird.

If the Brolga is at the marsh, you will need a lot more than a 400mm or use a cow . It's a funny story, I was up that way once and the Brolga was there, I knew I had no chance of getting anywhere close to range but there was a heard of cattle wandering around, so I used a cow to sneek closer, worked well until the cows decided they always wanted to be photographed. Everytime I went to take a shot a bloody cow would stick it's face against the lens.

3. The following user says thank you to James Doyle for their reply:

Tony Hansford Guest

Thanks James. Are the birds on the beach or out on an island mostly? Is there a best time to go there, like morning or afternoon (for front or back lighting) and do the tides matter? Are the birds there all the time or is it the luck of the draw?

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

On the beach with no cover you will need as much focal length as possible Tony

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

I normally try to time it for a low tide very early morning (even just before daybreak) then move into a spot and settle in and wait, as the tide comes in the birds move up closer to you on the shore, hence why you need to be in position well before they arrive. I generally find the early morning light is softer than the afternoon light at this time of the year and if you get a good position you get a range of lighting conditions from backlit, to side lighting and as the morning progresses the light will change around the birds. Also early morning less people about to spook the birds.

I've found birds all along the beach area there, sometimes there are thousands and others maybe a hundred or so scattered along the beaches.

If your timing is off, it's still worth going and waiting for the tide to come in, you will find many other species around from ospreys, kites, swans, spoonbills, egrets etc or there are kangaroos hoping around on the beach or shore (very friendly so you can get close). If you go around to where the boat ramp is on the otherside of the roast there often is productive hunting ground for the smaller species of birds.

Be warned!!!!! There have been lots of snakes seen about when you head bush a bit.

You should go Tony if you get a chance, just go explore the whole area as I have found lots of very interesting things to photograph in the area. But for the birds it's best with a rising tide in the early morning.
    Last edited by James Doyle; 25-11-2011 at 03:22 PM.

7. The following 2 users say thank you to James Doyle for their reply:

Xavier (26-11-2011)

Tony Hansford Guest

All good helpful stuff. Thanks chaps.

Image Reposts
    Please ask

My favourite thing to to at Toorbul is to set up my hide just next to the mangroves just as the tide is turning(usually at dawn) and wait for the birds to come right to me.

One thing to note it that if the birds get spooked(when the tide is high) they generally fly over to Kakadu Beach. If they are flushed and fly off(as the tide is still coming in) they may return after a short wait.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Good advise Chris, yeap hiding in the mangroves just on the edge of the "horseshoe" of the rookrie is a good place.