Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Christidis & Boles versus IOC

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Default Christidis & Boles versus IOC

Some of the birders would no doubt have seen the recent discussion regarding the future of the Christidis & Boles taxonomic list for Australia on birding-aus. For those that haven't, there seems to be a move by the bigger players in the birding world to move from C&B to the IOC list. The IOC list is a world list which can also apply to Australia. The main reason for this is the fact that it has been made clear for a while that C&B won't be producing another update, so continuing with that list will become more and more irrelevant as time goes on and more changes to taxonomy appear.
    It's looking like Birds Australia (or Birdlife Australia as it will soon become) will move to an IOC based checklist. There is still alot of work going into this as we speak it seems.
    Grant and I have been discussing for some time when we would make the change to IOC and we agreed that it would be when it became apparent that everyone was going to go there. It seems that that time has come as Tony Pallisers top birder lists now incorporates the IOC list and even has a downloadable Australian version spreadsheet compiled by David James. Check out the link below

http://www.tonypalliser.com/totals.html

So what does that mean for Feathers and Photos?
    Basically it means that we will now accept species and scientific names from both C&B and also IOC. There is going to be a fairly long overlap I would imagine so don't stress about "getting it wrong" or anything at this stage. Just know that we are happy with either taxonomy. \
    The biggest changes will come with things like Albatross and a few splits like Red-collared Lorikeet (split from Rainbow Lorikeet) etc. When i get a chance I'll try to make a list of the major changes.
    If anyone has any questions let me know.
    .....I'm off to see what my new total is going to be
    Cheers, Dave

www.davidstowe.com.au WORKSHOPS

Aus Life List IOC= 684 - Grey Honeyeater
    "So God created every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:21

2. The following 4 users say thank you to David Stowe for their reply:

James Doyle (24-11-2011), Max Breckenridge (23-11-2011), Michael Kingsford (24-11-2011), Richard Hall (23-11-2011)

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

IOC all the way, in my opinion. Joshua Bergmark recently convinced me to change over from C&B and it seems as though he got in at the right time. The major birding community is certainly tending towards change.

There are a few little things that will take time to get used to i.e. albatross taxa (way above my head), family positions and new names, but the process of filling out my revamped list in this format was a rewarding procedure - I added a couple of species to my life list (Red-collared Lorikeet, Hornbill Friarbird). There is also discussion as to possible future splits such as Silver-backed Butcherbird and grasswrens.

A bonus of the IOC format is that it provides regular updates, hopefully netting people a source of 'armchair ticks'.

As Dave said, there will be a fairly long overlap, but I see it as a step towards a tighter Australian birding community, along with the forming of Birdlife Australia in the near future.

Cheers,
    Max Breckenridge
    Gladesville NSW http://fortheloveof-birds.blogspot.com.au/ (Josh and I)
    Life List: ~730
    Aus List: 529 - Black-eared Cuckoo (Teridgerie)
    2013 List: ​284 - Spotted Quail-Thrush (Coonabarabran)

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

I've got no comments regarding the change from C&B to IOC as I have used neither (used the good old Eremaea Birds list), but you have now twisted my arm to start using something a bit more scientific - either that or I am graduating to a "bird nerd"

I just downloaded the IOC Checklist from Tony's website, had to delete all his sightings of course! Now I just have to go through and start plugging in details on when I saw what. I am not expecting my grand lift list of 208 to grow by much, although the vast majority of those birds have been seen in the Whitsundays.

How can I receive the updates when species are split/grouped, etc? Otherwise I could probably end up just using this same old list for 10 years or more by which time there will probably be 20 more species of Rosella
    Aust. Life List (IOC) - 315 (Rufous Owl- 11/09/2014)
    Dale Mengel Photography - a work in progress!
    Follow me on Facebook
    Check out my Birding Blog

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Well, you can't argue with my foresight there, can you Max?

Dale, the only way to update it is to manually check every time it gets updated. If you can't be bothered, maybe just update it every few years, nothing will change too drastically - I'd like to see 20 species of Rosella, sure would make it interesting

The BA discussions are quite interesting - for anyone not on the list, the main topics at the moment are:
    Hornbill Friarbird (armchair tick for many, the Cape York race of Helmeted has become Hornbill. Helmeted is now restricted to the NT)
    Emerald Doves (two species now, one on the mainland, Pacific Emerald, and another on Christmas Island, Common Emerald)
    Morepork (a split that seems to be a bit weird, but the boobooks in Tassie and NZ are now a different species to the mainland birds)
    Grasswrens (Thick-billed GW has been split into 2, and others are talking about other splits, such as certain races of Striated GW)
    Albatross (don't ask)
    Life List: 1438 (Black-backed Bittern)
    Aus List: 565 (Ditto)
    Our shared Blog - http://fortheloveof-birds.blogspot.com.au/ (Max and I)

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Great stuff Dave - I have been needing to update my life lists for ages and include in my signature which appears to be "the in thing to do" on the forum! So I think the new IOC list is the perfect opportunity though the Albatrosses will be challenging! So Ive begun the process thanks to the list link provided ( by Josh I think)

So soon I will have three updated lists!

1 Aussie Birds Life List
    2. Queensland Life list
    3. Aussie Birds Photographed list ( to a standard

Im off to work on it!!!

David taylor

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Just updated my list to the IOC list and my life list grew by 8 - no idea where or how, perhaps I just missed a few birds when I did Eremaea. There are some new names in there like Lemon-bellied Flyrobin instead of Lemon-bellied Flycatcher, Scaly-breasted Munia instead of Nutmeg Mannikin, etc etc.

Am I reading it correctly that there is no official Australian IOC list yet? It is just an extract from the World IOC List? I just downloaded whatever version Tony has on his website (which does not include the Hornbill Friarbird I don't think)
    Last edited by Dale Mengel; 23-11-2011 at 06:56 PM.
    Follow me on Facebook

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Yes Dale the list on Tony Palliser's website is an extract from the WOrld IOC list. The Hornbill Friarbird was accidentally left off so just insert it - David James just made this post to birding-aus
    "insert a new row below row 694 (Helmeted Friarbird) and type the following in the first three cells
    694.1 / Philemon yorki / Hornbill Friarbird
    To clarify, Hornbill Friarbird is the 'helmeted friarbird from Eastern Qld (s. Torres Strait, Cape York to about Clairview/Shoalwater Bay). It is an Australian endemic. Within Australia Helmeted Friarbird P. buceroides is now confined to the Northern Territory."
    Cheers, Dave

"So God created every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:21

9. The following user says thank you to David Stowe for their reply:

Dale Mengel (24-11-2011)

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details
    Blog Entries

I've added a link to the IOC checklist on Tony Palliser's website, to the navbar at the top of every forum page so it's easily locatable for F&P members.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Thanks Dave and Rich,

I have inserted the Hornbill Friarbird (which was actually row 695 on my list ), so looks like I will have to go to NT to get the Helmeted Friarbird now
    Follow me on Facebook

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Mengel View Post
    Thanks Dave and Rich,

I have inserted the Hornbill Friarbird (which was actually row 695 on my list ), so looks like I will have to go to NT to get the Helmeted Friarbird now
    Yes it was species 694 but row 695. I also don't recall seeing this bird in the NT which is a bugger!
    Still i have gained 4 species
    Cheers, Dave

Tony Hansford Guest

International Olympic Committee?

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Well, I suppose if it's bound to happen, I'm going to have to change at some point. At the very least, it will give me something to do for a day Anyone know if there is an IOC checklist for say North America? Or is it just the world list? It's unlikely I have any splits, but can always hope I guess :P

Quote Originally Posted by David Taylor View Post
    3. Aussie Birds Photographed list ( to a standard
    That actually sounds like an interesting sort of list to have, I might have to consider certainly doing that. =)
    Reposts welcome =)

Blog- Close Encounters of the Bird Kind. Updated 28/05/2014 "Courting Cuckoos"

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Quote Originally Posted by Bec Z View Post
    Well, I suppose if it's bound to happen, I'm going to have to change at some point. At the very least, it will give me something to do for a day Anyone know if there is an IOC checklist for say North America? Or is it just the world list? It's unlikely I have any splits, but can always hope I guess :P

That actually sounds like an interesting sort of list to have, I might have to consider certainly doing that. =)
    Can't believe you don't already have a "photographed" list Bec!

No idea about the North America area sorry - the Aus one was done by simply picking all the species from the world list - so a bit of a laborious task! I also have a world version that i have almost finished going through although i probably need to revisit it now.
    One of the most interesting changes (and one that will affect ALOT of Feathers and Photos members, is the Black-winged Stilt (Himantopus himantopus) is now White-headed Stilt Himantopus leucocephalus. No doubt that one will cause some confusion. Especially since our stilt has black on the back of the head whereas the real Black-winged Stilt doesn't!
    Cheers, Dave

Image Reposts
    No, don't edit

What's a list?

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Thanks David