Thread: Canon 1.4 Teleconverter

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Default Canon 1.4 Teleconverter

Hi all,

looking at picking one of these up prior to the wader season kicking in properly (so in about 3 days ), so I hired one and have been using it this weekend. All good - I'm loving it and will be buying one very soon.

One thing I didn't like was the lack of auto focus, so I tried the taping the pins thing - works a treat - AF works, a bit slower, but it works, and it reports that it's shooting at f5.6 as well, rather than f8. When I look at the data of the shots from this morning, it's also reporting that I was only at 400mm rather than 560mm. I haven't tried anything yet, but is there a way I can change this within Photoshop/Bridge/sometihng else so that it will report what it was actually at?

I will obviously look myself, but thought I'd pick your collective brains before i get to the point where I've had enough and give up. and I have to finish cleaning out the shed, so that's my afternoon

I'll upload some photos later on today.

Cheers
    Troy
    Aus Life List: 508 - Grey-backed Storm-petrel, Sydney Pelagic, 13/8/11
    2011 List: 302 - Channel-billed Cuckoo, Concord, 10/10/11

My photos
    My blog

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default Re: Canon 1.4 Teleconverter

There is really nothing you can do about this as it is the camera thinking that there is no T.C. on the camera coz the pins that would normally tell it this are taped. The only thing I can suggest is that when you attach the T.C. try opening up a different folder in your camera for the images to be saved in.
    This way you will at least know which images were taken using the T.C. (just remember to switch back to your other folder when you take the T.C. off.)

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Thanks Paul. Unfortunate to hear that I can't do anything native in the PP process - will have to modify the workflow.

For anyone who's interested, I found this - http://owl.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/ which is a Perl driven command line tool that can do what I want. If you aren't happy at the command line, keep looking, but this will mean I dust off the old laptop that's running linux and get it back on the network to do what I want it to do to my pictures. There is a windows <edit> and mac </edit> version, but I've got an assignment due shortly, and need to find things to procrastinate with - so firing up an old linux machine is just the recipe.

Let's hope I remember the password.

My photos
    My blog

Image Reposts
    Please ask

For anyone who wants to use that exiftool program and use a PC - right click on the exiftool.exe file, create shortcut. right click on the shortcut, and go to properties.

add " -v -FocalLength="560.0" -Lens="Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +1.4x" *.jpg" after the shortcut to the file, and it will change the FocalLength field to 560mm and the lens id to what it says. the -v just means it will show you in a box what it's doing.

After that, you can drag and drop individual files or whole directories onto the shortcut, and it will adjust your exif tags.

Hooray!

Cheers
    Troy

My photos
    My blog

oh i just love a command line perl program.. :ugeek:

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Quote Originally Posted by steve_happ
    oh i just love a command line perl program.. :ugeek:
    and rightly so... at least i don't have to tool around anymore trying to get it to work. just drag and drop the days work onto the shortcut.

My photos
    My blog