Thread: Printing your own photos?

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default Printing your own photos?

Hi all,

How many of you print your own photographs using a decent printer? I usually printed my photographs through the photolabs at places like Harvey Norman, but the final result is very much a hit and miss depending what enhancements are added automatically by the machine. I sometimes end up with a photograph that looks great on the screen but very ordinary in print.

Do any use their own printer to counteract this, or do you have another method of getting more reliable results? I know you can send the photos away to professional photolabs, but wonder if it is really worth it for the small amount of prints I do (and the high price for small numbers of prints).

Thanks!
    Aust. Life List (IOC) - 315 (Rufous Owl- 11/09/2014)
    Dale Mengel Photography - a work in progress!
    Follow me on Facebook
    Check out my Birding Blog

Tony Hansford Guest

Hi Dale.

I haven't printed a photo for a few years. I used to use an Epson Stylus inkjet printer between 1996 and 2006 and mainly printed panoramas using the Epson panorama paper, but they stopped selling it. Then I got a laserjet and they are crap for doing photos. When I was selling car rallying photos up to about 2008 I would upload them to Fuji and collect them from BigW or have them mailed to the customer. I don't know what the best option would be now.

Tony

Image Reposts
    No, don't edit

I have only ever printed one A2 image of a Whistling Kite I captured. That was at Domayne and it still looks fine after two years hanging in my office at work. I never print my images otherwise.

Image Reposts
    Please ask

I print images all the time, I'm running a Canon iPF5100 A2 format printer, I'm setup with profiles so you can soft proof before printing. Any place that doesn't offer profiles, you're wide open to what ever auto adjustments the machine/staff inflict on your image.

I'm happy to print images for forum members, I've got a printing section on my website, Anyone from the forum can get prints for 25% off the listed prices.
    Chris Ross
    Helensburgh NSW
    www.aus-natural.com
    Instagram: @ausnaturalimages

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

I've printed out some images of my little boy recently on our Canon Pixma, and the results are really inconsistent.

Image Reposts
    Please ask

I was using a Canon bubble jet until I got a profile made, I found the results inconsitent as well. If you just hit print and let the printer defaults work, it can be hit and miss, first step is to find the factory profiles and have PS handle colour using the factory profile and use soft proofing, that really only holds for Canon papers through. You can sometimes find profiles for your paper on your printer which you can use for the same purpose. Otherwise you use a profile generation service to generate a custom profile.
    Chris Ross
    Helensburgh NSW
    www.aus-natural.com

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisRoss View Post
    I was using a Canon bubble jet until I got a profile made, I found the results inconsitent as well. If you just hit print and let the printer defaults work, it can be hit and miss, first step is to find the factory profiles and have PS handle colour using the factory profile and use soft proofing, that really only holds for Canon papers through. You can sometimes find profiles for your paper on your printer which you can use for the same purpose. Otherwise you use a profile generation service to generate a custom profile.
    Thanks Chris. I read the greate info on your websit. But unfortunately the trial period on CS5 ran out so I'm back to using Elements. Which rules out the soft proofing. Is there any other way to obtain the same results?

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Soft proofing is ideal, but I find that on my calibrated monitor and with the profiles I use then I get very little change in the image for the most part. So if your monitor is well calibrated then just having PS control colours in your printer's dialog box and using a good profile will go a long way to getting there.

Was about to suggest to look at the upgrade costs, but then went to Adobe store and saw the upgrade from elements to CS5 was $962!!! for the download in Aus, from the US store you can download the upgrade for $599!!! I thought we had a free trade agreement.

Edit: the price goes down to $479 when you go to the checkout!
    Last edited by ChrisRoss; 12-11-2011 at 12:13 PM.
    Chris Ross
    Helensburgh NSW
    www.aus-natural.com

Image Reposts
    Please ask

I print the occasional pic on my Epson Stylus 390 using ONLY their Claria Photographic Ink...does a beautiful job...tried generic ink a few years ago but it was crap...
    It's not so much how fast you drive, but rather, how good you look doing it...

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisRoss View Post

Was about to suggest to look at the upgrade costs, but then went to Adobe store and saw the upgrade from elements to CS5 was $962!!! for the download in Aus, from the US store you can download the upgrade for $599!!! I thought we had a free trade agreement.

Edit: the price goes down to $479 when you go to the checkout!
    Getting a bit off track, but if there is a student in your family they can get CS5 for a song after jumping through hoops to proove they are a student!
    Richard Jackson
    http://www.owlphotographer.com/
    your comments and suggestions are welcomed

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Thanks Richard.

I am a student (well, was when I purchased CS4) so I got CS4 for something like $190; all I had to do was supply a photocopy of my Student ID card from uni. I am finished uni now, but my student cards have not expired, so might look at upgrading to CS6 or something before they expire - depending on whether or not it's a big enough upgrade from CS4.

Being at student can help, sometimes!
    Aust. Life List (IOC) - 315 (Rufous Owl- 11/09/2014)
    Dale Mengel Photography - a work in progress!
    Follow me on Facebook
    Check out my Birding Blog

Image Reposts
    Please ask

May be cheaper than CS6 by a little:

http://www.feathersandphotos.com.au/...d-get-CS6-free
    Chris Ross
    Helensburgh NSW
    www.aus-natural.com

Image Reposts
    Please ask
    Blog Entries

Some suggested print shops I have used.

For decent prints in quantity (for up to 12x18) https://photoenlargements.com.au/ (very cost effective option)

For 20x30 or above I use RGB Digital or Digital Works.
    http://www.digitalworks.net.au/owners/index.asp
    http://www.rgbdigital.com.au/

For fine art work try: www.imagescience.com.au

I use an Epson 3880 myself for fine art or small print runs.

- - - Updated - - -

Lots of good information on printers, paper and inks here:
    http://www.luminous-landscape.com/fo....php?board=6.0

and here: http://www.imagescience.com.au/kb/qu...nkjet+Printers
    Last edited by Michael Hains; 28-06-2013 at 11:00 AM.

14. The following user says thank you to Michael Hains for their reply:

Dale Mengel (02-07-2013)