Thread: Weekly Theme .. Nests

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Default Weekly Theme .. Nests

Just a thought (probably not a good one) but I was wondering how about a "Nests" for a weekly theme.
    With Spring in the air there are heaps of nesting birds about and it might prove for beginners like me very helpful.

Just a thought ... mind you, everyone would have to know exactly what bird the nest belonged to !!

Having said that ..my resident Pied Butcherbird has now vacated her nest and her young (just one) has fledged.
    But today I was surprised to see her nest has been made most welcome by one of our many Crested Pigeons !

Jude

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Nests could be a good theme, although I imagine people wouldn't want to encourage the wrong sort of behaviour in terms of trying to get to close to nesting birds etc. But I should think that it could be a cool theme, and include nests and birds collecting materials for nests etc.
    Reposts welcome =)

Blog- Close Encounters of the Bird Kind. Updated 28/05/2014 "Courting Cuckoos"

Image Reposts
    No, don't edit

Bec, your first sentence sums up my own thoughts.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Jude, we've had requests to make this a theme before but felt it best to not encourage the practice of getting too close to nesting birds.

5. The following user says thank you to Paul Randall for their reply:

Mark Young (04-11-2011)

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Understand ....... perhaps come winter we might be able to photograph nests only 'not in use'.
    Jude

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Great idea Jude, unfortunately some people will push it too far as mentioned by Bec. Just a quick note out of interest, Birdlife international does not publish any images of birds at nest for this very reason!
    Aus list 632 (Powerful Owl, Callala Bay, NSW, 01-05-2014, finally thanks Matt!)
    Year list 159 (Powerful Owl, Callala Bay, NSW, 01-05-2014)

Image Reposts
    No, don't edit

In all honesty, nest photography can be done with care, but should probably be limited. It's always good to leave it once a photographer gains more experience with understanding bird behavior and is able to pick up clues from their body language that may indicate that they are either OK or not with the photographer's presence. Also, longer lenses should be used or some sort of concealment, eg hide/blind. But done with care, some amazing shots can be taken without (or with minimal) disturbance to the birds.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Agree with the above sentiments about not having this theme.