Thread: Protecting long lens while photographing from car

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Default Protecting long lens while photographing from car

What advice can forum members offer about keeping your camera attached to a 500mm lens handy in the car while touring. I have no room between the front seats with a poorly designed and tall centre console. I found out what happens when leaving a camera with a different lens on the passenger floor. Sprite is sprayed over the camera and the camera can't be repaired. (fortunately it was insured with AAMI who will replace the camera) The car is a small AWD i35 Hyndai with a large back seat and deep back foot well. There is a space between the front seats where I should be able to extract the camera with lens hood attached without thumping the front seat passenger.

(I did consider the Honda CRV where there is a deep space between the front seats for this reason, but the powerful Hyndai diesel with 40% better fuel efficiency was a clear winner)

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

I'd consider making something like a foam cradle perhaps that fits in between the front seats Clark Rubber will have some very thick foam that they can cut to length for you

Tony Hansford Guest

Take the passenger seat out

Tony Hansford Guest

Make a cradle so it extends forward of the rear seat towards the gap between the front seats at about the same height as the big center console. That way the camera is easy to grab and you don't have to lift it off the floor. Probably have the lens facing towards the rear of the car and supported by the soft rear seat. You can lift if ever so slightly and slide it forward above the console when you need it. Add some soft straps with velcro to keep the camera in place while driving or a lid if necessary. And secure the cradle using whatever spare bolts are available inside the car. Built it out of aluminium or timber or whatever you find easiest to work with.

Otherwise just build a table/platform in the same location and make something like your Canon lens case but big enough to support the camera s well. Flip the lid and you're in business. You could even add a roller track (like on expensive drawers) so you can roll the case forward between the front seats to get the camera out. Then simply roll it back out of the way again while you are using the camera.

Image Reposts
    No, don't edit

For my local driving around for quick access to the gear, I stand the rig up (camera on seat) and lean it against the pillar as if it were a passenger. Also, I put the seat belt on it sometimes when I am driving through a town especially. For a longer drive when I am traveling from one shooting location to another, I generally put it back in its case.

Image Reposts
    Please ask

So far it looks like I will need to construct something, although removing the front passenger seat seems very attractive, but I am not ready for a divorce to complicate my life.

Image Reposts
    Please ask

There are various long lens cases available which could be put to use and will take a 500mm with hood and body attached, at a range of prices. The old (discontinued) scope pack was good for a 500mm f4.5, but it's a bit tight with the 500mm f4. Something like these can be placed and or strapped on the front seat or held upright in the footwell, with a few straps.

http://www.naturescapes.net/store/ka...kpack-600.html
    http://www.naturescapes.net/store/ki...-case-500.html
    http://www.naturescapes.net/store/ki...lens-case.html

The last while pricey (but not compared to the price of the 500mm or a potential repair bill) will double as a backpack as well with the available harness. There are probably other cheaper packs available, otherwise, more than likely you could find something at a luggage store that could be adapted with a bit of foam padding.
    Chris Ross
    Helensburgh NSW
    www.aus-natural.com
    Instagram: @ausnaturalimages

Image Reposts
    Please ask

With my 600mm I have always carried it on a pillow in the rear passenger seat footwell, just behind my drivers seat. I leave the monopod attached aimed up towards the roof. I lift it in and out by grabbing the lens foot. This is a good safe spot and I can leave it setup ready to shoot (except extending the monopod out). The disadvantage is I have to pull over and get out to shoot and sometimes that can cost you the shot. If you are careful however and circumstances allow pull the car up in such a way that the subject is masked from you opening the doors on your side of the car. Once you are ready to shoot move to a position where you can get the shot but still have as much cover as possible from the vehicle.

I found shooting from the window is too difficult from the drivers side with the 600 but you may get away with it with the 500mm. The problem I have found with shooting with large lenes from the drivers window in right hand drive cars is one of comfort. It is actually much easier to shoot from the passenger seat because of the way cameras are designed and the lack of a steering wheel helps. So if you do have another driver let them drive and you can concentrate on shooting.

If you are going to leave the lens somewhere accessible to grab from the front seat you should find some way of securing in the event of a sudden stop. The weight causes these things to have a lot of momentum and in a crash it is going to become a missile.

Brett

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

I place my 7D +500mm on the back seat with the seat belt attached, ready to go..

Image Reposts
    Please ask

I showed Dianne all these suggestions and she came up with one of her own. We tested out the grandson's polystyrene beanbag. The camera and long lens sunk into the bag and was nicely cradled in the middle of the back seat. Dianne is going to make a better designed beanbag and we will see how it goes.

If I decide that I need to use a monopod, I think I will give the pillow in the stairwell a try.

The camera bags are very interesting and tempting. I suspect a small cost compared to protecting gear and i can't afford to replace.

Any further suggestions welcome and thanks for the current ones.
    Last edited by Bob Winters; 02-11-2011 at 06:28 AM.