Thread: Anyone use a portable bird hide?

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Default Anyone use a portable bird hide?

I've been thinking about getting a portable bird hide and was wondering if anyone had any experience with one, either homemade or bought?

Any comments on whether a horizontal (lying down) or vertical (say with a seat inside) would be more useful?

I'm not talking about a semi-permanent set-up, just something light, almost tent-like.

Thanks
    "the responsible thing to do -- the enlightened 21st century thing -- is to pony up your money and your time and save them. Because they are birds; and that is more than enough reason for anybody." - Colleen Mondor

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Default Re: Anyone use a portable bird hide?

There was a great thread about this on the old forum Brook
    Don't own one myself but hopefully those that do will add their bit again. My limited experience with hides is either a bit of shade cloth from Bunnings draped over me, or being with Craig or Gerard in theirs - one of those pop up tent like ones which you sit inside. Great for waterhole/feeder setups.
    Cheers, Dave

www.davidstowe.com.au WORKSHOPS - Lord Howe Island - 29th November - 6th December 2017.

Aus Life List IOC= 680 - Lord Howe Woodhen
    "So God created every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:21

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Default Re: Anyone use a portable bird hide?

I have seen (not sure if it was this site) instructions for a homemade poncho type hide made from camo material. Don't use polar fleece for summer use!!! It was a rectangular shape and the hood extended over the lens, was longer at the back to drape on the ground. Perhaps someone else can recall more details. This would be lighter than a pop up tent, which can weigh several kilos.
    Regards,
    Ann
    Reposts welcome but could an explanation of what & how it has been done been provided. That would be a great help.Thanks