Thread: Canon 1D Mk 3 settings

Tony Hansford Guest

Default Canon 1D Mk 3 settings

I bought a 1D Mk3 on Friday. Last night I bought the Arthur Morris Canon EOS-1D Mark III Users Guide. Is that a good place to start or what settings would you recommend for me who has been used to Dslr's that you just switch on and start shooting?

I also found an online pdf called the 1D Mk3 Digital Field Guide. The owner had it setup so the Quick Control Dial on the back moved the focus points and I am used to it doing exposure compensation. So that pdf got that sorted for me

Also, should I reset the camera back to default settings to wipe what the previous owner had it set up for? Is that a good move or not?

cheers,
    Tony

Tony Hansford Guest

I'm going through the Arthur Morris guide and trying to follow that. It starts out ok for 1D novices but then very quickly changes to something more suited to seasoned 1D users. I think he got caught up in it and forgot why he was writing the guide which is for people who are new to the camera. So by about the 12 page mark it gets a bit harder to follow. And there's no picture of course.

I sent him a return email to ask if I should reset everything because his guide assumes people have bought an unused camera. Hopefully he will respond or his staff will.

cheers,
    Tony

Image Reposts
    Please ask

You really need to go through and work out what each of the settings does and why would change it. Probably be an idea to reset it to factory specs. I'd start off by adjusting picture styles for a touch less contrast and saturation as it better reflects the results you get in the Raw file on the LCD monitor/histogram. Here is a guide to custom functions for the 1D MkII:

http://www.naturescapes.net/docs/ind...nt/article/302
    http://www.naturescapes.net/docs/ind...onal-functions

I know it's not the MkIII, but the custom functions are generally very similar and it explains better why you want to change them, but maybe not what you want to change them to.

I'd be careful what you ask the rear dial to do, I find it's easy to knock it. Also have a search on NSN, photography equipment forum, similar requests get asked there regulalrly and the answers are often very good, though you will see a lot of don't touch the 1DMkIII with a barge pole comments.
    Chris Ross
    Helensburgh NSW
    www.aus-natural.com
    Instagram: @ausnaturalimages

4. The following user says thank you to ChrisRoss for their reply:

Tony Hansford Guest

Yes, Canon Australia facebook page recommended that I reset it to the defaults also. But it's a bit of a bummer that it doesn't reset the custom functions too.

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Hi Tony,
    Yes definitely start by resetting to factory including the custom functions. As Chris said its a good place to start so you can just go through all the options and work out what they do.
    can't remember exactly on the mkIII but i'm sure there is a "Clear all Custom Functions" option within the custom functions menu.
    Another thing i do first up is set up some common stuff into the "My Menu" tab. Saves heaps of time for things (including Custom Functions) that you use often. eg "Format"
    I use the joystick toggle on the back of the camera for AF point selection - much easier than the rear dial IMO. Not as easy to knock as Chris said and also i think you can pick the point you want quicker.
    I think using Artys guide will be a good thing to read - if for no other reason than it will go through the functions and at least give you his opinion on each one so you can learn and then assess whether you agree or not. Feel free to message me with more questions too.
    Cheers, Dave

www.davidstowe.com.au WORKSHOPS

Aus Life List IOC= 688 - Carpentarian Grasswren
    "So God created every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:21

7. The following user says thank you to David Stowe for their reply:

Tony Hansford Guest

Anyone with a MkIV might find this useful too.
    AI Servo AF Custom Function & ISO Speed Settings Guide
    http://www.mediafire.com/?d0twimdtvw123w1

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Tony you are in the big league now, pressure is on!

But you should have bought a Nikon!!!!

Brett

Tony Hansford Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Parnell View Post
    Tony you are in the big league now, pressure is on!
    But you should have bought a Nikon!!!!
    Brett
    Yep, people see the 1D and automatically think I know what I'm doing. Great way to fool them

Tony Hansford Guest

I am loving this camera. By using tips learnt here about exposing to the right I am amazed by the complete absence of noise in my photos where I get the exposed-to-the-right exposure right

Image Reposts
    No, don't edit

Good work Tony, proud of your efforts mate. Keep it up!