Thread: Monitor calibration?

Tony Hansford Guest

Default Monitor calibration?

I bought a Spyder 2 for $60 and got a free 4GB CF card thrown as well.

Anyway, I installed the software and performed the profiling and now I think my imac screen looks blueish. So I did it again and it still looks blueish to me. I did as the instructions said to do and made sure no direct light fell on the screen. In fact I turned out all the lights in the room. Is this what I'm supposed to do or should I leave a light on and just shroud it with something?

My brother told me to use Coloreyes Pro but it looks too hard.

Help please if you can. Otherwise I will go pay my mate to do it at his place.

cheers,
    Tony

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Tony I use a Colorvision Spyder for my calibration. I can remember thinking the same thing when I first used it. I guess it depends on how much of a shift you are experiencing. I'd accept the calibration settings and see how you go for a day or two. You might be surprised how your eyes can get accustomed to the different temperature settings of the screen. Post some images with the new setting and ask for feedback.

When calibrating make sure the screen is out of direct light, allowed it to warm up for at least 30mins and ensure the spyder is making good contact with the screen.

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Tony, what colour temperature are you targeting when you do the calibration and what sort of screen are you calibrating?

Also what colour temperature was the monitor using prior to the calibration?
    Chris Ross
    Helensburgh NSW
    www.aus-natural.com
    Instagram: @ausnaturalimages

Tony Hansford Guest

Thanks for the help guys.

Chris, I think it said 6500k was the target and the gamma was 2.2. The monitor is in a 2.66 Core 2 duo intel iMac (white). I'm not sure about settings prior to calibration as I didn't take note of that.

Image Reposts
    Please ask

It will look bluer if it originally was native 5000K. Does the software have a before and after function?
    Chris Ross
    Helensburgh NSW
    www.aus-natural.com
    Instagram: @ausnaturalimages

Tony Hansford Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisRoss View Post
    It will look bluer if it originally was native 5000K. Does the software have a before and after function?
    It showed a before/after comparison at the end of the profiling process. I didn't think it looked so blue then. Anyway I will do as Gerard suggested, try it as is and post some shots for feedback.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Tony, what I do is reset the monitor to it's defaults, have the monitor set up in the room as you intend to use it...if you work with lights on then profile with the lights on, curtains drawn or open etc, but try not to have direct light hit the monitor. During the profile I aim to acheive; 6500K, gamma 2.2, lum 120, contrast set during profile and then I set the RGB during profiling. I use a Eyeone Display2 from X-Rite on PC computers.

I reprofile once a month, after the first profile the steps are quicker if you reuse your old profile as a starting point and you haven't changed any settings on the monitor.

I have noticed though if you are using a newer LED monitor (as rather than a straight LCD) they is a slight difference in the finished colour cast "look" when using the LED monitor. I spoke with Tim Grey about this some time ago and he was saying it's because of the way the "back lighting of the monotor is acheived" with a LED the light is cooler than a standard LCD but the colormeter will take that into account if you set the colour temp setting to recommended, I'm not sure if the Syder system lets you do that though the Eyeone does and it has worked well everytime.