Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone interested in a Photo/twitchathon

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default Anyone interested in a Photo/twitchathon

Firstly, forgive me if this has been raised before.

Are you all familiar with Twitchathons. These are relatively informal contests where contestants have a set time period in which they try to sight and record as many bird species as possible. These are popular world-wide and there are several held in Australia each year. Would people be interested in our own version of this - a photo/twitchathon. There would be a set time period (say 6 hours) in which to photograph as many species as possible. Photos have to be record shots or better, with a 'record shot' having only one criteria - that the species be identifiable beyond doubt.

It could be a contest, with the winner being the one who gets the most species (maybe Craig will stump up a prize for the winner). Of course if its a contest, there will have to be two divisions - one for the NT, Nthrn Qld and any other district where the birds line up and say 'shoot me', and one division for everywhere else. Personally, I'm not really interested in the contest side of things, I'm just interested in what species are accessible to the various members of this forum.

Results could be posted on Flickr, with contestants just opening a free account and uploading their photos - or maybe just posting lists on this site.

Anyone interested ?
    Arron
    www.patonga.me : botany, wildlife, fishing, check it out

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default Re: Anyone interested in a Photo/twitchathon

I think that would be a great idea: seconded!! Sounds good, especially if it is very informal, people can take it as they wish (other than the main criteria, obviously). I think it would be a great way for people on here to have fun and a great excuse to go out birding/photographing! Anyone else?
    Tobias Hayashi
    Canberra, Australia
    www.flickr.com/photos/callocephalon

Image Reposts
    Please ask

I'm keen.
    Aus Life List: 508 - Grey-backed Storm-petrel, Sydney Pelagic, 13/8/11
    2011 List: 302 - Channel-billed Cuckoo, Concord, 10/10/11

My photos
    My blog

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Sounds like a good idea to me.

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Sounds fun. I think Craig has a 50D that he wants to give as a prize
    Cheers, Dave

www.davidstowe.com.au WORKSHOPS - Lord Howe Island - 29th November - 6th December 2017.

Aus Life List IOC= 680 - Lord Howe Woodhen
    "So God created every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:21

Image Reposts
    Please ask

It's just gathering dust at the moment, might give me an excuse to get the 7D.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Well I would have expected a bit more interest, but never mind, I guess they'll get on board later. Here's a first cut at the rules:

1. First photo to be not before 7:00 am
    2. Last photo to be not after 1:00 pm
    3. No playback allowed
    4. Putting out food sources not allowed
    5. Any photo counted must allow the species to be clearly and unequivocally identified (when combined with knowledge of location). Otherwise, photo quality is not an issue.
    6. Upon completion, everyone puts their list as a post on a thread on this site
    7. The person with the most species is declared the winner and is awarded a 50D

I reckon on a Sunday, about 3 weeks hence. Someone could post an open invite on that other Birding-Oz (Birding-Aus) site as well.

Frankly, I'm dead interested to see how this works out. I cant imagine how many species I might get, but I'm guessing 40ish. I've seen 20 species in a couple of hours from my balcony in Patonga, and thats not a particularly bird-rich area.

Cheers
    Arron
    www.patonga.me : botany, wildlife, fishing, check it out

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

I think it's a great idea, but I'll have to miss out on this years, sorry.
    Worldwide: ~900 Australia: 396 Birds on my block*: 113
    Latest: South Island Pied Oystercatcher *Including sites within 2min walk from my house
    Geopolitics, Cartography & Biodiversity - Latest post: Let's hear it for the Jangmadangs!

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details
    Blog Entries

Sounds like fun to me too! I'm definitely interested.

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Arron,

I think it's a great idea - it will certainly be alot of fun and interesting to see the variety of species encountered across the continent. I think a chronological list (time of photo placed next to species on the list) would also be of interest to look back on 'number of ticks' in a given period. Perhaps a 'sub-competition' for most ticks in 15 min period etc.

Keen to participate.

Scott

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

I am already doing one of these in 3 weeks time.
    Dan and I are entering as a team in this years Twitchathon and since our Twitching skills are NOT the most fantastic, we will be relying on photos to help ID species seen during our rest period. I have been interested in seeing how many species I can actually photograph in a 24 hour period.

As for this one being suggested, I think 6 hours is too short. Make it 24 hours so people can make the most of tide times and also dawn and dusk (active times for birdies eating and drinking). Since quality is not a factor you can shoot throughout the day anyway. Also allows people to travel between locations without rushing. Being as it is also an honour system I don't think any prize other than bragging rights can be awarded (just have to give me the 50D ).

Happy to participate but maybe give people a little time to plan the outing with family commitments and/or work.
    Life list - 278 species (Painted Snipe) updated 06/11/11
    2011 list - 160+ species (stopped counting months ago)
    Web site http://www.darrylluck.com

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Six hours is a little short, I guess, but we poor people in Canberra don't have any tides or shorebirds to work with!! I guess we can take into account location as well.
    We could also have another division of best photo of the twitchathon, just as an aside. As in, if someone stops to take a great photo rather than just twitching maybe we should reward that as well. I dunno. But it would be nice to have a teeny little bit of flexibility on when we do it.
    Tobias Hayashi
    Canberra, Australia
    www.flickr.com/photos/callocephalon

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

rarest bird is another category.

Canberra has a permanent low tide doesn't it?

24 hours gives people a chance to see owls, lets shift workers get out to play, and also allows for cruddy weather or family commitments. You may have relatives come to visit but still get a few hours of shooting as well as being in the partner's good books
    Life list - 278 species (Painted Snipe) updated 06/11/11
    2011 list - 160+ species (stopped counting months ago)
    Web site http://www.darrylluck.com

Image Reposts
    Please ask

I'd want to be out before 7am... I see most of my birds before 7, and if the shots only need to be of record shot quality, that's when I'd be taking the shots.

apart from that, the rules are all good.
    Aus Life List: 508 - Grey-backed Storm-petrel, Sydney Pelagic, 13/8/11
    2011 List: 302 - Channel-billed Cuckoo, Concord, 10/10/11

My photos
    My blog

Image Reposts
    Please ask

I reckon 24 hours just makes it too long and starts to make it uneven if you are only able to devote half a day to it. Why not make it a continuous 6 hour block but you can choose any time over a given weekend? I think the proper twitchathons are enough if people want to go nuts with it. I also like the idea of people not travelling too much for it so we get a feeling for the diversity within certain areas.
    Cheers, Dave

www.davidstowe.com.au WORKSHOPS - Lord Howe Island - 29th November - 6th December 2017.

Aus Life List IOC= 680 - Lord Howe Woodhen
    "So God created every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:21