Thread: Sleeping bag and mattress for camping

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default Sleeping bag and mattress for camping

Hey guys and gals,

I'm looking to go camping over the Cup weekend (for about a week), and I need to get a sleeping bag and some form of mattress (inflatable, foam, rubber), and was hoping for some suggestions please.

I'm looking for something that will suit warm and cold weather, and be reasonably comfotable.
    Last edited by Adam Blyth; 17-10-2011 at 08:47 AM.

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Where are you going? the answer is actually quite variable unless you don't mind being cold or uncomfortable. If it's at all cold you need some insulation underneath you or you'll have a miserable night.

The cheap answer for a mattress is a standard garden variety airbed plus a closed cell foam sleeping mat, the 6mm thick rolls you see in all camping stores are fine, it's not cushioning it's insulation. The mat goes between you and the air bed.

If you want something better, I just got one of these:

http://www.bivouac.co.nz/gear/campin...at-7-2011.html

Excellent insulation for the coldest conditions, comfy as a air matress, no need to a closed cell foam mat and they have a built in pump and pack down to small cylinder about 150 x 200mm.

Then you'll need a sleeping bag, I find I need a winter bag and a summer bag. Almost any half reasonable (probably not a $20 special though) synthetic fill bag will work in warmer weather. You can't beat a down fill bag for the sort of cold you get in the outback in winter or for use at higher altitudes (1000m +) from April through Oct-Nov.

Get yourself a silk liner as well, they mean you need to wash your bag less often (that's good especially for down), they add about 2-3 to a bags rating and they are also good on their own on warmer nights, or you can get into them and use the bag as a doona on nights where the being in the bag is a little too warm.
    Chris Ross
    Helensburgh NSW
    www.aus-natural.com
    Instagram: @ausnaturalimages

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

I suggest a swag and a $30 BBQ Galore tent (or of that same ilk) if you're only going to car camp.
    I had a single swag with sheets in it and just put my doona/blankets/sleeping bag etc inside it, roll it up and jam it in the car. I also put an extra piece of foam in the bottom of my swag (it's very comfy). I drove from Canberra to Perth in july last year, camping along the way. it kept me warm.

If you've got a tarp you don't need a tent, but you need something to separate you from the ground and to cut any air movement over the swag: it'll rob you of your warmth!
    Cheers,
    H

https://twitter.com/Manic_Henry
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/54876436@N08/

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

oh, and Burke and Wills swags are good (recommended).
    Cheers,
    H

https://twitter.com/Manic_Henry
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/54876436@N08/

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

I gave up on a swag a few years ago. I now use a 1 man ( or women) tent with the mattress out of my swag and a -5 C sleeping bag.
    The voices in my head may not be real, but they come up with some great ideas..

Cheers Rev.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Thanks guys!

I've got a tent and all other bits sorted (I used to camp frequently, but haven't been in a few years now), I'll pull them all out this week and make sure they are still suitable (in working order). Unfortunately my existing mattress and sleeping bag got soaked when our garage flooded at the old house and got mouldy and just generally horrible.

@Chris, I'll be heading to the Victorian North-East (Wyperfeld or Hattah-Kulkyne in the Victorian Mallee), and I expect it to be relatively warm, obviously with cooler nights. I can't really see myself camping during the winter months. Thanks for the tip regarding the sleeping mat.

@Nephrurus, I think a swag is probably a bit overkill for the amount of use it is likely to see, and a bit out of my price range, considering I already have a tent etc.
    Last edited by Adam Blyth; 17-10-2011 at 08:46 AM.

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Blyth View Post
    I can't really see myself camping during the winter months.
    They don't make 'em like they used to! Camping out when it's sub zero let's you know your alive as long as you can sleep warm.

I just looked up last Nov at Walpepup which is west of Ouyen on BOM, overnight lows ranged between 3 and 23, so you will need to be prepared, 23 is probably just sleeping in your silk liner, 3 will be pretty damn cold with a summer weight bag not cutting it. Don't know if you are a warm or a cold sleeper, but I'd be looking at a bag rated for 0 or there-abouts and that is able to be unzipped to make a doona.

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/dwo/20...0.201011.shtml

This bag from Kathmandu would probably be OK: http://www.kathmandu.com.au/Sleeping...ng_Bag_v4.html

rated at -2, sleeping bags are probably a bit optimistic with their ratings. RRP is a bit steep, but it's $129 including signing up for summit club membership($10). in those kind of conditions I'd suggest taking the bag, the liner and an old wool blanket for if gets really cold. Other outdoor places probably have something similar.
    Chris Ross
    Helensburgh NSW
    www.aus-natural.com
    Instagram: @ausnaturalimages

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Definitely a warm sleeper. I dropped into Anaconda on the way home from work and they had a good sale on camping gear, 25%-40% off, good timing.

Ended up with a Black Wolf Fitzroy Hooded sleeping bag[/url] for ~$75, a Coleman XL single air bed for ~$35 and a Coleman 12V pump for ~$30.

Just got to pick up a foam sleeping mat and a silk liner and I'll be set.

Pulled the camping gear out of the shed and it all looks good to go as well. Can't wait to get out there!