View Poll Results: Should the winner of last weeks IOTW be eligible the following week

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - they should be eligible regardless of winning last week

18 60.00%
  • No - they should be ineligible for 1 week after winning

12 40.00%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: IOTW - important POLL!

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Default IOTW - important POLL!

Hey everyone.
    No doubt alot of you will have seen the recent debate regarding Image of the Week. Currently we have a "rule" in place that means you can't win two weeks in a row. The reason we did this was to encourage a wider participation and hopefully see a greater range of winners. After all its a bit of fun and there aren't any prizes except seeing your "name in lights" for a week. We have tried to encourage people to take the photographers equipment and experience/improvement into account when voting.
    This view has been challenged as rendering IOTW irrelevant by not simply letting the best image win and encouraging people to do better.
    To be honest the mods have been discussing this and can see both sides. We certainly want it to be fun and we also want to encourage people to improve. We had our own poll which was pretty much an even split, although i don't think any of us feel super strongly either way.
    So we are having a poll to let the members have their say.
    The question simply is:
    Should the winner of last weeks IOTW be eligible for voting in the following week?
    Yes - they should be allowed to compete
    No - they should be ineligible to give someone else a go
    Cheers, Dave

www.davidstowe.com.au WORKSHOPS

Aus Life List IOC= 684 - Grey Honeyeater
    "So God created every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:21

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

How about a 3rd option, Not fussed either way.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Why not a members picked image of the week and a mod picked image of the week?

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Quote Originally Posted by Mick Crosland View Post
    Why not a members picked image of the week and a mod picked image of the week?
    I like this! Because the current IOTW isn't working. And removing the 2 weeks-in-a-row limit will in all likelihood result in the same people winning IOTW. At least if the mods pick an image, or some sort of 'other' group, they can take into consideration progress/equipment/improvement etc.

Very good idea Mick.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Because the current IOTW isn't working.
    You'll have to explain that to me Adam Is it because there are not always a lot of votes? I feel its been working quite well.

We have discussed a "mods pick", kind of like an "encouragement" award or "most improved". Might be implemented in a few weeks perhaps.

Image Reposts
    Please ask

hmmmm.... decisions, decisions

It doesn't really help the cause but I see both sides of the argument.

One, I'd like to see the "best"(subjective of course) photograph on show.

The other, seeing someone with less experience(than the seasoned veterans) being acknowledged for their hard work and a significant improvements in their craft.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Randall View Post
    You'll have to explain that to me Adam Is it because there are not always a lot of votes?
    Yeah, the voting has really dropped off the last few weeks, except perhaps the most recent voting. And 5 people have already won twice (and regularly feature in the voting), which would seem like a lot in a short time frame.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Randall View Post
    We have discussed a "mods pick", kind of like an "encouragement" award or "most improved".
    I think this would be well received.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Adam pointed out that this is where we ought to be discussing this issue. Thanks Adam.
    It was me that made the comment about IOTW being diminished if the previous weeks winner was excluded from being eligible. I was ignorant that such a rule existed. My reason is as follows IOTW means Image Of The Week so for me if there is a built in exclusion of any image in that week then IOTW is not in fact Image Of The Week!! To me it is simply misleading to have a forum that purports to be Image of The Week when the rule in question prevents this from being so. I agree within you entirely with everything else in your statement. We all stand to gain from exchanging ideas and experiences and I would hate if my comments were to stifle any part of this endeavour. As a novice in my use of post processing I have had so much help from others I would be the last one to want to hinder progress. In photography as in many other things there is always some one who can do it better and that is why we keep taking images to improve. We owe it to our subject matter and to ourselves to improve.
    Thanks for Dave for having the Poll.

Regardless of the Poll results. The major problem we have is that so few actually nominate images for IOTW . It would be great if all members would consider nominating an image or at least give a ditto vote for a nominated image that they think best. My memory of a previous polling system was that there were many more voting.
    Best regards
    Rod Warnock
    Rod Warnock
    Nature - The Cathedral of Awe!
    Rod Warnock Wildlife Photography at : http://rodwarnockphotography.com/

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

. My memory of a previous polling system was that there were many more voting.
    What was the previous system Rod? Also any ideas why people aren't voting? That last question is open too everyone.
    The voices in my head may not be real, but they come up with some great ideas..

Cheers Rev.

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Walker View Post
    Also any ideas why people aren't voting?
    Some people simply aren't interested in the "community" aspect of F&P. Couldn't be bothered.....

I like to wait until Sunday to vote but that often leads to my scattered brain forgetting to vote

Tony Hansford Guest

I'm here to learn and see all your fantastic images and to have my images critiqued by photographic legends. Voting doesn't really interest me just like all these tv shows that require voting don't interest me either. But I like to see the IOTW winner photos no matter who took them.

And you can't accuse me of not trying to be part of the community

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Hansford View Post
    And you can't accuse me of not trying to be part of the community
    Definitely not

And I wasn't accusing anyone of not being a party of the community. Just saying some people aren't interested in that

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

I am guilty of not voting, mostly because I forget as I want to do it last minute, to make sure I see all photos. I personally would like to see the best image of the week regardless who took the shot or won the previous week. It inspires me to do better.

For me, the best image of the week, would not necessarily be the presentation, such as pp work - don't get me wrong as it is part of the process. I also look at the bird captured (eg. degree of difficulty photographing, behavioural stuff etc.). A picture perfect image compared with a bird seldom seen or photographed, would certainly get my attention and appreciation of the time and patience to get the photos by the photographer (great skill I believe).

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

I am no expert in how difficult a shot is(they are all difficult, it shows the quality of photographers on this site, outstanding), but would like to vote on the best image every week , regardless of who won when, I just vote on watever image is pleasing to my untrained eye. I too leave voting till Sunday but sometimes forget.
    Please, can I come back with wings!!!
    Life list 180
    Tasbirds 153
    The other island 27

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Despite many years of exhibiting etc I still have the same difficulties with choosing a favorite so I can easily agree with Shelley and Andrew. I also leave it until Sunday to vote. A big difficulty is scrolling back to the start on the week and wonder how many good images get missed because they were posted early in the week??
    Shelley, I wonder about your sentence: "A picture perfect image compared with a bird seldom seen or photographed, would certainly get my attention and appreciation of the time and patience to get the photos by the photographer (great skill I believe)."
    To me IOTW should be the best photograph regardless of the rarity of the subject matter. In other words a shot of our dullest and least attractive bird should be IOTW if it is a better image than all others. Just another view I know. Much earlier a rare wader did get IOTW but for me at least it was way below par photographically. But a great overall comment by you Shelley we should have more such lucid opinions.
    Best regards
    Rod Warnock
    Rod Warnock
    Nature - The Cathedral of Awe!
    Rod Warnock Wildlife Photography at : http://rodwarnockphotography.com/