Thread: I got some new gear today...

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default I got some new gear today...

...I splurged on a point and shoot I am aware that I should be saving my pennies more for some nice glass. But I've felt a real need for something compact that I can take with me places such as the beach, on outings with friends, playing minigolf etc without having to worry about my precious DSLR (or carrying it around). In addition to that, I can't hold my DSLR an arms length from me, turn it around and take pictures of myself with friends. Plus, some people tend to get uncomfortable when you point all that camera at them I just felt like I needed something that I didn't have to worry about, still had some decent zoom in case I did see something and needed a record of it, and that could also take shots quickly.

What I ended up with is the new Canon Powershot ELPH 310 HS, which I believe in Aus will be known as the IXUS 230 HS. Why they need two different names... I haven't got a clue.
    Basic specs are 8x zoom, 12.1MP, Digic 4 processor (which also happens to be what's in my 550D) and the ability to shoot HD movies and burst images at a rate of around 8 frames per second. So anything I might need it for, it basically has. I would have liked perhaps to come away with something with 10x zoom, but everything else I was looking at had the higher zoom but slower processing (and I hate having to wait a long time between taking images) or if it was good in those areas as well, it was well out of my pricerange.

Unfortunately I've only been able to play around with it so far in a poorly lit room, will have to wait for daylight tomorrow, but so far it's proving easy to learn and use, the burst function works fantastically, the flash doesn't white-out faces at close range (like my previous point and shoot had a tendancy to), reasonably quick focus. At full optical zoom, I can focus at around a metre, when completely zoomed out, at around 1cm away! On auto mode, it has auto detection for an obvious area for focus (faces etc), but with a quick touch of a button I can have a centerpoint focus which I know will be handy if I come across birds with it.

There is also a slow-motion movie capture mode. Which I had a play around with, I filmed the ceiling fan! It looks pretty fantastic, though seems like it will really only be good in well-lit conditions (high frame-rate I guess).

I was a little worried about the purchase, simply because it was already a little more than what I had planned to spend, but I have to say that I'm pleased with the decision. It's always fun to have a new toy

Couldn't find it on the Aus website yet, but here's the page on Canon US: http://usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/p...ot_elph_310_hs
    Reposts welcome =)

Blog- Close Encounters of the Bird Kind. Updated 28/05/2014 "Courting Cuckoos"

Tony Hansford Guest

Nice job of convincing yourself you need it

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Now I have to ask you..... What colour is it?

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

If you ever go gliding, small camera like that are great for snapping Wedgetailed Eagles when they thermal with you on the end of the wing. Unfortunately 100-400's are too long in a cramped cockpit!

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Quote Originally Posted by Chris M View Post
    Now I have to ask you..... What colour is it?
    I got a black one :P They only had black, silver or purple in store. But I think I like the black best anyway. It's more of a charcoal black than a really dark black though.

I have heard of Wedge-tails joining gliders, it's really interesting. Would certianly be something to experience. I have a friend who does gliding, however seeing those gliders up close has made me decide that they're really not for me :P
    Reposts welcome =)

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Last year we had 2 join us in thermal not more than 30m off the wing. Needless to say their thermalling skills left mine looking rather ordinary in comparison!!! I'll be doing a glider flight early next month near Cooma, so if I get a Wedgie visit I'll do my best to get a snap or two and post here...that may change your mind

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Would love to see any snaps you come away with. Sounds great.
    Reposts welcome =)

Image Reposts
    Please ask

always good to have a little discreet pocket rocket handy! we love our powershot, always have it in pocket for plant/flower ID, while the big lens on the dlsr for birds on walks, saves changing lens, they are amazing at their very specifically designed to do job of indoor non flash people/pets/partys/gatherings
    btw we love those energiser ultimate lithium AA's for them, good value!