Thread: when is it to steep

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default when is it to steep

just trying to get an idea on things when do you make a call if the bird/photo is to steep
    and how do you tell is there a certain level would be happy for examples for for and against so i can get an idea

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Derek I think the answer lies in the eyes of the beholder. It really is subjective.

Similar to head angle of the bird. Some people aren't bothered if the bird is looking away from the photographer. Others like myself are very picky when it comes to where the bird is looking in a given scene. My preferences are purely that.... my preference. My ideals are no better than yours
    Whether it is right or wrong I've learned to like or prefer certain elements in a bird photography. More often that not being on the same level as the bird is most desirable. It's more engaging IMO than the perspective of looking up at the bird. Most of the time when you see a bird it's up in a tree. When the viewer of a photo is on the same level as the bird it can make it more intimate and special.

Someone else might be able to better able to explain practical application of photographing birds in different circumstances

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Like Chris said, a lot of it is personal preference. However, even a very steep angle nearly below the bird can be a good photo if the bird is engaging is some interesting behaviour or is looking down towards the camera etc. It really depends on the image. A bird simply perched at a steep angle is less appealing.
    Reposts welcome =)

Blog- Close Encounters of the Bird Kind. Updated 28/05/2014 "Courting Cuckoos"

Image Reposts
    No, don't edit

I think that it is quite personal when an image becomes too steep.

Generally though, I would always strive to be as close to eye level as possible with the subject to give a perception of connection and intimacy. Compare an image (example) of a duck on a pond that you take from a standing position or from a lying position. It makes a difference and is the same for perched birds as well me thinks. Though if the behavior or action warrants it, I would not hesitate to press the shutter if a rare sighting or something similar would occur. I am not that technically anal to be honest though.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

thanks chris and bec i do appreciate your ideas and views
    akos i do understand your views also i always try to get low for a ground shot but didn't think of it in the same way for up high