Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Settings in 7d

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default Settings in 7d

Just out of interest, wondering what settings others are using in camera.... ie sharpening, contrast, saturation, NR etc. Jack.
    Jack Shick
    Sea to Summit Expeditions

www.lordhoweislandtours.net

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Jack if you shoot in RAW these presets don't have any effect on the image. They are only relevant if you shoot JPEG (which i would recommend against )
    Cheers, Dave

www.davidstowe.com.au WORKSHOPS

Aus Life List IOC= 684 - Grey Honeyeater
    "So God created every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:21

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

So am I right in saying that for 'Picture Style' settings, where it has 'portrait', 'landscape', 'standard', 'user defined' etc, there is no effect on RAW images? Therefore it really doesn't matter what this is set at?

Cheers
    Nigel

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel C View Post
    So am I right in saying that for 'Picture Style' settings, where it has 'portrait', 'landscape', 'standard', 'user defined' etc, there is no effect on RAW images? Therefore it really doesn't matter what this is set at?

Cheers
    Nigel
    And what about people like me that shoot in jpeg..
    The voices in my head may not be real, but they come up with some great ideas..

Cheers Rev.

Image Reposts
    Please ask

NIgel that is correct. THese settings have no effect on the raw file. They do affect video shooting though.
    Ray - yes they can have a big impact on your images straight out of camera if you shoot JPEG. If you are only going to shoot in this manner then i would recommend trialling different settings to see what looks best for you.
    Cheers, Dave

www.davidstowe.com.au WORKSHOPS

Aus Life List IOC= 684 - Grey Honeyeater
    "So God created every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:21

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Quote Originally Posted by David Stowe View Post
    Ray - yes they can have a big impact on your images straight out of camera if you shoot JPEG. If you are only going to shoot in this manner then i would recommend trialling different settings to see what looks best for you.
    Thanks Dave. If I use the camera for birds only, what should I shoot in ?

Cheers Rev.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

I always shoot Raw, thanks for clearing that up Dave.
    Jack Shick
    Sea to Summit Expeditions

www.lordhoweislandtours.net

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Thanks David.

Ray, I always shoot in RAW as it allows more recovery options post processing.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

I would suggest you shoot in "standard" Rev. Its probably the best option IMO.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel C View Post

Ray, I always shoot in RAW as it allows more recovery options post processing.
    I don't do any Nigel, so jpeg does me. I tried raw once ,and when I put them back to jpeg to post here they lost too much quality, so I don't bother any more.
    I would suggest you shoot in "standard" Rev. Its probably the best option IMO.
    Thanks Paul.

Cheers Rev.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Quote Originally Posted by David Stowe View Post
    NIgel that is correct. THese settings have no effect on the raw file. They do affect video shooting though.
    Convenient timing because i was thinking of asking the exact same question myself yesterday, so it's good to know an answer
    Reposts welcome =)

Blog- Close Encounters of the Bird Kind. Updated 28/05/2014 "Courting Cuckoos"

Image Reposts
    Please ask

There is a reason to set these settings in many cameras, as they influence what you see on your LCD screen and the histogram. I have my camera set a bit lower on contrast and saturation as this gives a closer approximation on the histogram as to whether or not you've really pushed the exposure al the way to the right. best way to find out is to test what you get in your raw converter and compare it what your LCD screen was telling you. SO for instance you take a shot at standard and push the exposure all the way to the right (on the LCD) and then have a look at the histogram when you bring it into Raw. If it is not all the way across, then try reducing contrast and saturation a notch in picture style and see if it gets closer.

Ray, if you are losing quality converting back to jpeg you are missing something in your processing, Even just the ability to recover slightly blown highlights is worth working out how to convert your Raws, once your jpeg is blown no amount of PP can rescue it!!
    Chris Ross
    Helensburgh NSW
    www.aus-natural.com
    Instagram: @ausnaturalimages

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Ray, if you are losing quality converting back to jpeg you are missing something in your processing,
    Chris, I use " GIMP" and gave up when I had some reasonable pics of the Elegant parrot( in RAW) and when I converted them over they were crap, so I haven't used it since.

Cheers Rev.

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Why don't you try the software that came with your camera (Canon DPP), it's not the most user friendly, but suspect it's a bit better than GIMP at raw conversion and it's free. Without doubt the one of best of the raw converters is Adobe camera raw, it comes with photoshop elements which won't break the bank and while I'm all for open source software, GIMP (at least the versions I've tried) is rather clunky at best, it'll do the job but confuse the hell out of you on the way.
    Chris Ross
    Helensburgh NSW
    www.aus-natural.com
    Instagram: @ausnaturalimages

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Rev, Raw Therapee is now an open source program(you need a fair bit of ram though or your computer will freeze), has any one else used Raw Therapee???
    Please, can I come back with wings!!!
    Life list 180
    Tasbirds 153
    The other island 27