Thread: Canon 400mm f2.8L II mini review!

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Default Canon 400mm f2.8L II mini review!

Went into Canon on the way to work again this morning to drop some gear in and was allowed to take the new 400mm 2.8L II outside with my 1D mkIV on the end of it!
    I also took a new 2X III converter out with me to see how it fared as an 800mm f5.6 and used a monopod.
    I only had 5 minutes or thereabouts so this is by no means a thorough scientific review but i had to make do with what was straight outside the building. I had appointments at the studio that i needed to be on time for and not the best images or light etc either sorry. But still very excited to be able to shoot with it!
    Many thanks of course to all the guys at Canon Professional Services! http://www.canon.com.au/EOS-Professional
    My first reaction was being very impressed with the size and weight compared to the old one. I would rate it as handholdable as my 500mm f4L. So no super lightweight but very impressive.
    AF was great with no noticeable issues. I expected poor results when coupled with the 2X (series III) converter but was very pleasantly surprised by the speed. At f5.6, my gut reaction was that it was faster than my 500mm with a 1.4 (series II). The quality even with the converter was fantastic. Wide open or stopped down to f5.6 without the converter it was sharp as a tack.
    Below are some images labelled with what they were shot at etc. I have some at approx 100% crops and unsharpened and also a couple processed with my usual PS actions for posting on this forum which include some USM which might be a useful comparison.
    If this is what the next 500mm and 600mm are going to be like then i am seriously drooling! Whilst i love the f2.8 and flexibility of this lens, for bird photography I think i would still want the extra reach
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	David Stowe 400mm f5.6.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	179.3 KB 
ID:	12079

Name:	David Stowe 400mm f3.5_100crop.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	230.6 KB 
ID:	12078

Name:	David Stowe 400mm 2.8_100crop.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	277.7 KB 
ID:	12077

Name:	David Stowe 400mm f2.8.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	179.2 KB 
ID:	12076
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails David Stowe Canon 400mm_2x.jpg  
    Cheers, Dave

www.davidstowe.com.au WORKSHOPS

Aus Life List IOC= 684 - Grey Honeyeater
    "So God created every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:21

Image Reposts
    Please ask

This image has my usual USM sharpening for web that i normally present on this forum.

Name:	David Stowe Magpie 400_2xsharpen.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	139.1 KB 
ID:	12082
    Cheers, Dave

"So God created every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:21

Image Reposts
    No, don't edit

Holy crap! That's some serious glass mate. Yeah, I reckon the 600/4 MkII will be the ass kicker of them all. Now I have to find a new wife to fund that one!

Image Reposts
    Please ask

I'm not gonna change what I was going to say just because Akos said it first.......

Holy crap!!! Very impressed with your quick "test". Most impressed by the 400 + 2x at f/5.6 photo. Dave is the last photo in panel #1 uncropped?

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Quote Originally Posted by Chris M View Post
    I'm not gonna change what I was going to say just because Akos said it first.......

Holy crap!!! Very impressed with your quick "test". Most impressed by the 400 + 2x at f/5.6 photo. Dave is the last photo in panel #1 uncropped?
    Thanks Chris - yes the shot of the Magpie @ 800mm is uncropped. I was impressed too!
    Cheers, Dave

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Quote Originally Posted by Ákos Lumnitzer View Post
    Holy crap! That's some serious glass mate. Yeah, I reckon the 600/4 MkII will be the ass kicker of them all. Now I have to find a new wife to fund that one!
    Actually, keeping this wife, she's the one who told me to buy the 400/5.6L now and buy one of those new ones when there is enough supply. These new tele's are very impressive, but also expensive.

Regards,

Rob

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

wonderful first impressions! I have had good experience using the Series III 2x converter on the Series I 500 f4 lens with very good results. I am sure with the new series II lenses, the results would even be better.

Thanks for sharing this David. I will be looking forwards to seeing the new 600f4 on the market

E
    Eric SJ Tan
    Mountains & Beyond

Image Reposts
    No, don't edit

Can't wait to try the 400/2.8 on the Canon meet day, if it happens.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

serious money!! great images
    Jack Shick
    Sea to Summit Expeditions

www.lordhoweislandtours.net