Thread: Sony 300mm lens

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default Sony 300mm lens

Does anyone have any experience with the Sony A900 and 300mm lens? We're having a trip to the NZ sub-Antarctic Islands and Macquarie and because of the tsumani won't be able to get a Canon 300 in time, and are considering other options. I just can't imagine hand-holding the 500 and getting sharp results from a zodiac in those seas!

Image Reposts
    Please ask

No idea about the sony gear sorry Sonja, although don't discount being able to use a 500 from a zodiac. Won't be easy but if it's bright enough to get a decent SS you might surprise yourself. I know i wouldn't leave home without mine
    Cheers, Dave

www.davidstowe.com.au WORKSHOPS

Aus Life List IOC= 684 - Grey Honeyeater
    "So God created every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:21

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Andrew Davies, one of our members, uses the 300mm Sony and A200 Sonja. Here is a link to one of his recent images.
    http://www.feathersandphotos.com.au/...1353#post81353

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Thanks to those who responded. My husband has just about convinced me that I can manage with the 500mm so will have to try and build some muscles between now & then!

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Hi Sonja,

As mentioned by Paul I shoot with a Sony A200 and Minolta 300mm f4 that I purchased new in 1996. These lenses are always available on ebay for around $1400 and matched with the 1.4 tele convertor are a perfect match in my opinion. The other option is the Minolta 400mm f4 lens. This is also on ebay for around $2400 and would be fantastic with the 1.4 tc.

I have used the 300 f4 lens for the past 15 years, shooting mainly birds and Formula 1 when it is in town each year with great success. The lens is fast focusing on most Sony bodies, I started with the A100 and the lens was always hunting in anything other than perfect lighting conditions, last year I changed to the A200 and the lens is faster with less hunting. I am now purchasing a new A500 for $475 and expect the lens to be evan faster.

I dont think I could justify the price of the Sony lens over the older Minolta lens'.

Regards, Andrew

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Thanks for responding, Andrew. I'm sorry about the delayed response but have been busy organising and running a weekend away for the MELBOCA photography group.

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Don't discount Ebay as a source, for instance there is a new 75-300 L lens on there now:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-CANON...item336c6f0347

Get's very good reviews and apparently AF's well. There's a review here: http://www.deepgreenphotography.com/...-is-zoom-lens/
    Chris Ross
    Helensburgh NSW
    www.aus-natural.com
    Instagram: @ausnaturalimages