Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Canon 300mm f/4L IS + 1.4x TC

Tony Hansford Guest

Default Canon 300mm f/4L IS + 1.4x TC

Does anyone here use the 300mm f/4L IS with or without the 1.4 teleconverter or know how sharp it is compared to the original non-IS version? I've signed up to buy an IS version mainly due to my shakey hands. But I'm a bit worried I might be going backwards in the image sharpness department. All the reviews I've seen from back when the IS version was released say it's not as sharp as my current non-IS lens. But most of the amateur reviews I've seen say it's an extremely sharp lens. Could this be because these amateurs have not used the older version or is it actually as good or better than the original lens now?

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Nothing to worry about Tony, it's good and sharp with the 1.4x. You could possibly notice the difference by pixel peeping but the new combo is just fine. If you look back through my posts on other images you will find heaps of butterflies and dragonflies I have shot with that combo. Here's two examples:

http://www.feathersandphotos.com.au/...ht=caper+white
    http://www.feathersandphotos.com.au/...searchid=16276

The Af slows down a bit with the 1.4x and 25mm tube, but still locks on fine. The other thing to remember is that if your old 300mm breaks, parts are not available from Canon anymore.
    Chris Ross
    Helensburgh NSW
    www.aus-natural.com
    Instagram: @ausnaturalimages

3. The following user says thank you to ChrisRoss for their reply:

Image Reposts
    No, don't edit

I've used the 300/4L IS with the 1.4x for nearly four years. It's perfect and you can get very good shots even using a 2x (Canon) converter, or good shots using stacked converters. Of course a lot depends on your technique, but overall I am glad I have this lens and had many excellent images taken with it, plus TCs. In fact, the TCs are THAT good, I dunked my 1.4x in a pond last October (at Pugh's) and after some careful drying and baking in an oven it still works perfectly, now on the 500/4L.

In my opinion, those who cannot get razor sharp images using the 300/4L IS lens are not very good at photography, or just like to whine about a few pixels in the image. Or both. Yeah, probably both.

5. The following user says thank you to Ákos Lumnitzer for their reply:

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Hi Tony,

I use the 300/4.5 with and without the 1.4X on boat trips and the image quality is excellent. Also used it for other work and very pleased indeed.

cheers
    Rob

7. The following user says thank you to rob drummond for their reply:

Tony Hansford Guest

You know this would have to be the best and friendliest forum on the web. I equired on Canon Australia Facebook page, Australian Photography Forum and POTN with no answers. But here I have 3 excellent and helpful responses immediately. You people are always so heelpful. Thanks.

I checked the date code of my lens and it's UG0100, meaning I bought it new in 1992. It's been my most used and best lens even with the 1.4x attached. I love the sharpness so much which is why I am worried about the newer version

9. The following user says thank you to Tony Hansford for their reply:

Arthur Plottier (12-09-2011)

Image Reposts
    No, don't edit

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Hansford View Post
    You know this would have to be the best and friendliest forum on the web. ................
    Yes, we know, the best forum in the net. No one single arrogant member
    http://www.plottier.net
    http://arthur-plottier.megashot.net/
    My gear: Nikon D300s, lens and Land Rover Defender

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

I agree with all of the above....lens, yes should be sharp for you Tony....members, yes, they are a sharp bunch too

12. The following user says thank you to Paul Randall for their reply:

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Hi Tony
    I've owned both non IS and the new IS version and couldn't tell the difference! Biggest improvement that is often overlooked is the fact that the new version has a much closer min focus distance = 1.5m v 2.5m - big difference! I find the IS a big help personally. AF i find slow with a 1.4x but i can't remember if it was better on the old one or not....poor thing fell off a cliff
    Cheers, Dave

www.davidstowe.com.au WORKSHOPS

Aus Life List IOC= 684 - Grey Honeyeater
    "So God created every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:21

14. The following user says thank you to David Stowe for their reply:

Tony Hansford Guest

Your last comment made me laugh David. Not that it happened but how you put it

16. The following user says thank you to Tony Hansford for their reply:

David Stowe (13-09-2011)

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Hansford View Post
    Does anyone here use the 300mm f/4L IS with or without the 1.4 teleconverter or know how sharp it is compared to the original non-IS version? I've signed up to buy an IS version mainly due to my shakey hands. But I'm a bit worried I might be going backwards in the image sharpness department. All the reviews I've seen from back when the IS version was released say it's not as sharp as my current non-IS lens. But most of the amateur reviews I've seen say it's an extremely sharp lens. Could this be because these amateurs have not used the older version or is it actually as good or better than the original lens now?
    I've been using this lens setup for close just over a year, and I'm really quite happy with it. I very rarely ever use just the 300mm by itself. I've found it really easy to carry around and use. As Dave mentioned the minimum focal distance of 1.5m is really handy for when those little birds decide to get up close.

18. The following user says thank you to Mark Young for their reply:

Image Reposts
    No, don't edit

Tony,
    I should show you this dragonfly I took about two years or so ago I guess with this lens, the Canon EF 2x converter at ISO800, handheld, at the minimum focusing distance of 1.5 meters. The image is full frame with a very little space added behind the tail as it was very close. So it makes a pretty impressive close-up lens too mate.

20. The following user says thank you to Ákos Lumnitzer for their reply:

Tony Hansford Guest

Wow Ákos that's sharp !
    I have to pay for mine tonight and hopefully it will be in my hands next week sometime. It looks like I might have a buyer for my non-IS 300 already, a facebook friend. Fingers crossed.

Tony Hansford Guest

Well I got it. Fantastic IS. I took a shot of my kitchen tap tonight at 1/25 seconds at 420mm with IS on. Not quite sharp but way better than I could have done without IS. First impression is that the AF is somewhat slower than my 1992 model, especially with the focus limiter set to 1.5m. It is slow and hunts at the 1.5m setting (at night at least).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	300mm-IS-8089.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	148.0 KB 
ID:	12143

Image Reposts
    No, don't edit

Yeah I wish it'd have a focus limiter more like the 500! Say 1.5-3m, 3-10m then 10m to infinity! Can't have it all I guess. Awesome lens and its IS and the MFD is what sold this on me instead of a 400/5.6 sans IS.

Tony Hansford Guest

I'm taking it whale watching tomorrow so that should be a good test for it and me. The 300 IS/1.4x combo on the 30D, 100-300L on the 5D with a 24-105L just in case the whales come up to the boat.