Thread: How could I improve this?

Tony Hansford Guest

Default How could I improve this?

I have tried to separate the bird from the background as best I can but it still looks to me as though it could be done better. Can you suggest something please? I'm using Lightroom followed by CS5.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bowra-2011-0788.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	223.7 KB 
ID:	12011

Image Reposts
    No, don't edit

Tony, I hope I can be honest enough to say that to me it looks perfectly fine and normal as it is. The simple B&W coloring of the flycatcher provides all the contrast it needs against that smooth BG. If anything, select the BG only with a quick mask and apply some noise reduction to it. Then sharpen the bird a bit. Cheers mate.

3. The following user says thank you to Ákos Lumnitzer for their reply:

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Agree with Akos's suggestions. Here is a repost with blur tool used as NR on the BG, a slight levels adjustment and a tiny sharpen. Looks like its a fair crop and unfortunately the bird is not as sharp as it should be IMO. Nice settings though.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bowra-2011-0788.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	203.8 KB 
ID:	12022

5. The following user says thank you to Paul Randall for their reply:

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Yes, lovely setting in this image. Agree with above but I decided to compare the blur tool in Paul's repost to the NR filter in my repost. See which one you prefer.

I thought that some areas of the blue on the bird were blocked up also tried to open up the area of white on the throat & breast. As I was working on a jpg I played around with a S/H adjustment. I don't know what processing you already did with this image but on the raw file I would try using fill light (maybe in combination with the blacks slider) in ACR to open up those areas rather than S/H.

So basically I created the mask for the S/H adjustment, applied the S/H adjustments on a new layer.
    Created another layer for the NR filter, dragged the S/H mask to that layer, then inverted that mask, then applied the NR.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bowra-2011-0788-Tony.jpg  
    Cheers,
    Geoff

reposts welcome

7. The following user says thank you to Geoff Gates for their reply:

Tony Hansford Guest

Sorry I forgot to reply to this earlier. They both look heaps better than my original but I think Geoff's has the more natural look of the two reposts. How do you do the "quick mask" with so much grass to exclude? That would be a nightmare for me with my skills but you two made it totally unnoticeable.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Hansford View Post
    How do you do the "quick mask" with so much grass to exclude? That would be a nightmare for me with my skills but you two made it totally unnoticeable.
    I didn't use Quick Mask (in fact I rarely use it to create masks but others may prefer to use it, probably just personal choice). For the above image I just used the magic wand.
    Cheers,
    Geoff

reposts welcome

Tony Hansford Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Gates View Post
    For the above image I just used the magic wand.
    On RGB or on a single channel?

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Hansford View Post
    On RGB or on a single channel?
    On RGB. But if you want a really exacting mask starting with channels is one of the best methods.
    Cheers,
    Geoff

reposts welcome

12. The following user says thank you to Geoff Gates for their reply: