Thread: Canon 300mm & 400 2.8

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Default Canon 300mm & 400 2.8

Had my first look at the new 300mm 2.8 and 400mm 2.8 teles this morning at Canon! Unfortunately i wasn't able to borrow them and i didn't have time to put a body on them while i was there. Impressed by the look and feel of them though - the 400 seems SO much smaller than the old one and seriously handholdable - if you are used to handholding a 500 that is. The case for it even has space for a 1.4 and 2X converter! They have a couple of things for video shooting which is interesting too. AF has another mode - Power Focus - for smoother manual focus when shooting video. The IS also has a third position which only engages the stabiliser just before the shutter fires. So you can be shooting video without the noise of the IS ruining everything but if you suddenly want to take a still the the IS cuts in! Brilliant! I dare say it would be helpful when you pan too so that the IS isn't having a fit until it needs to? Min focus is only 2.7m which is way better than a 500mm (even the new one i think is only going to be 3.7 or something) Apparently the first Aus pro that they lent it too sent a two word email back regarding how good they are...."F&#$*# Me!" They only have one of each in the marketing department at the moment as all the others were sent straight to the World Cup for CPS so it might be a while before i can get my hands on one. I'll be sure to write a review if i can though!
    Cheers, Dave

www.davidstowe.com.au WORKSHOPS

Aus Life List IOC= 684 - Grey Honeyeater
    "So God created every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:21

Image Reposts
    No, don't edit

They sure sound good, especially the 400/2.8 due to its light weight. I would love to have the cash to buy the new 600! That would be the best BIF and all bird/wildlife photography lens ever IMO.

Image Reposts
    Please ask

mate the 400 2.8 would be the best BIF lens for sure i reckon. Apparently awesome quality with the new 2X which would make a nice flexible combo......mmmmm.......
    Cheers, Dave

"So God created every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:21

Image Reposts
    No, don't edit

I am merely thinking that a 400/2.8 + 1.4x = 560mm f/5.6 and to have a bare 600/4 that probably weighs a little less than the 400/2.8 + 14x combo would be a killer and a stop faster. Though I don't think there'd be much compromise in IQ or AF acquisition between either set-ups and weight would be about the same or less with the 600. I also think for the smaller birds (though I am not much of a small bird photographer at all) the 600/4 + 2x would be a bird killer (in a very nice way). I think 400 on its own is not enough in many instances. But hey, whatever suits each person best.

Image Reposts
    Please ask

I hate knowing that there is a new/better model of something I have ......... seriously!!!!

Image Reposts
    Please ask

400/2.8 + 1.4x = 560mm f/5.6
    That's a 560 f/4 Akos and a 800 f/5.6 with a 2x badboy for sure

Image Reposts
    No, don't edit

You're right Mike. DOH, I have been at work for ten hours today, and 12 every other day this week so my brain's dead. At least that's my pathetic excuse. . . . .. .. .. .. .. .. .. ..OK, then the 600 still wins by a measly 40mm!

Tony Hansford Guest

What do you do David that would prompt Canon to give you a lens like that? Are you a pro photographer?

Image Reposts
    Please ask

DOH, I have been at work for ten hours today, and 12 every other day this week
    Should be able to afford one shortly then.......

Regards Mike

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

The 600 would be the dream lens for me, but it will at least be around the $12,000 mark when it is released, so I will take donations happily....
    Aust. Life List (IOC) - 315 (Rufous Owl- 11/09/2014)
    Dale Mengel Photography - a work in progress!
    Follow me on Facebook
    Check out my Birding Blog

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

That's a 560 f/4 Akos and a 800 f/5.6 with a 2x badboy for sure
    Thats a great combination of focal lengths for us bird photographers

Image Reposts
    Please ask

I just bought a 400/5.6L yesterday from an shop for A$1530. Was waiting for these new lenses, but i need to wait a bit longer before i can purchase one. bought a new laptop for myself too, so no more competing with the kids either.

Regards,

Rob

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

You'll enjoy that lens Rob Good luck with it

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Hansford View Post
    What do you do David that would prompt Canon to give you a lens like that? Are you a pro photographer?
    Hey Tony - sorry just got back onto the forum. Yes I'm a pro wedding/portrait photographer and more importantly in this instance a CPS member (Canon Professional Services).
    Cheers, Dave

Tony Hansford Guest

That explains it then. I know what CPS is.