Thread: Heat haze affecting super telephotos

Image Reposts
    No, don't edit

Default Heat haze affecting super telephotos

I was talking with Derek last night and mentioned the fact that many people who don't photograph nature don't understand that even with a super tele one needs to be relatively close. I told him I'd post these to illustrate what heat haze looks like through the lens, well on the final image. The attached images illustrate the atmospheric disturbance caused by heat rising off the ground and it was only mid-20s yesterday morning. So you really need to be close, especially in warm weather.

I was totally spewing because I was hoping to get some shots of this beautiful (yes, I know they are pests) Red Fox hunting. Sadly, it was around 50m away and the full frame shot shows a totally soft image, even though I was using a fence post for support, a shutter speed of 1/2500th at 1,000mm focal length, which is very feasible for me even hand holding. The 100% crop shows even better the total degradation of the image due to the heat. In contrast, I just posted a Cockatoo shot in flight taken at the same time. The bird was some 20m only, so no effect on the final image at that subject distance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails _KOS8392.jpg   _KOS8392-100percent.jpg  

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Yep, heat haze sucks and is always in the back of one's mind. Another reason to shoot early and late in the day.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Yep, a real pain, even more so up here in the tropics where even in winter it is in the 20's during the day. In summer heat haze is apparent not long after the sun comes up, so even early and late in the day can be a problem
    Aust. Life List (IOC) - 315 (Rufous Owl- 11/09/2014)
    Dale Mengel Photography - a work in progress!
    Follow me on Facebook
    Check out my Birding Blog

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

thanks akos thats what my roo shots looked like

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Heat haze or no heat haze it wouldn't effect a 222!! Sorry guys I don't like feral animals and won't hesitate to shoot them.
    Jack Shick
    Sea to Summit Expeditions

www.lordhoweislandtours.net

Tony Hansford Guest

Thta's like what I got with my 300 f4 prime + 1.4x on 30d from the whale boat the other weekend on a bright sunny day. All the images looked like the second fox photo. In focus but blury.