Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Photo specs in Photoshop

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default Photo specs in Photoshop

I'm just wondering, I see people posting the focus distance for their images when they post, as in, how far away the bird was from the camera. In theory, when I look in photoshop and go to 'File', 'File info' it should be listed there with all the other camera specs like focal length and ISO etc, but I just don't see it. Any ideas as to the reason why? Is it possible that my camera/lens combination doesn't record that information? I use the Canon 550D with a 55-250 kit lens.
    Reposts welcome =)

Blog- Close Encounters of the Bird Kind. Updated 28/05/2014 "Courting Cuckoos"

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Quote Originally Posted by Bec Z View Post
    Is it possible that my camera/lens combination doesn't record that information?
    I think so, my D300 never recorded it, it is being recorded with my D7000....
    Aus list 632 (Powerful Owl, Callala Bay, NSW, 01-05-2014, finally thanks Matt!)
    Year list 159 (Powerful Owl, Callala Bay, NSW, 01-05-2014)

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Hey Bec - I'm not sure of the exact how/why either to be honest. Interestingly i can only see the distance info in Bridge. not in Lightroom!
    I'm sure it's only more modern cameras. I know the 1Dmk4 and 7D have it - not sure about the 550D sorry. try looking in Bridge and see if its there?
    Cheers, Dave

www.davidstowe.com.au WORKSHOPS

Aus Life List IOC= 684 - Grey Honeyeater
    "So God created every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:21

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Hi Bec,

It's only the later Canon cameras that have that capability, so 7D, 1D Mark IV, etc as my 50D did not have that function. Your 550D probably does not have that information available, although I have never used one so not sure. To get the distance info, all I have to do is right click on the photo in Windows, go to properties, then details tab and all the EXIF, including the distance info, is displayed in there. No idea how that happened, it just did without me doing anything It works for both my 7D and 1D4 cams.
    That's the only reason I say, for example, "subject distance: 20.4m" in my photos - I am not that good to accurately guess distance down to 0.1m
    Aust. Life List (IOC) - 315 (Rufous Owl- 11/09/2014)
    Dale Mengel Photography - a work in progress!
    Follow me on Facebook
    Check out my Birding Blog

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Mengel View Post
    Hi Bec,

It's only the later Canon cameras that have that capability, so 7D, 1D Mark IV, etc as my 50D did not have that function.
    My 40D has that information so I suspect the 50D would have it too. I know nothing about the 550D with regards to exif.
    Cheers,
    Geoff

reposts welcome

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Gates View Post
    My 40D has that information so I suspect the 50D would have it too. I know nothing about the 550D with regards to exif.
    Hmm, I wonder why I wasn't getting the info on the 50D. I did nothing different when I upgraded to the 7D or 1D4 - maybe it coincided with when I bought Photoshop CS4 which could explain why
    Follow me on Facebook

Image Reposts
    No, don't edit

Dave, when I used the 1DIII you had, I was getting the distance info. 33m to the SqTK nest from where we stood!

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Mengel View Post
    Hmm, I wonder why I wasn't getting the info on the 50D. I did nothing different when I upgraded to the 7D or 1D4 - maybe it coincided with when I bought Photoshop CS4 which could explain why
    Have a look at the exif for one of your 50D raw files in bridge. ...I'll bet it is there.
    Cheers,
    Geoff

reposts welcome

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details
    Blog Entries

My 40D has it too, however my 350D doesn't. Could be a case of Canon's entry level range not having that functionality with it only available on their mid-range and upwards?

I think I also noticed that older photos I'd processed with CS4 didn't have distance info, whilst CS5 does.... don't quote me on that one though.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

I think it is really interesting info, gives an indication of the stealth abilities of other photograpers.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

I use Lightroom. My Olympus cameras (E620, E30) didn't show this info, but as advised above my 7D does.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Gates View Post
    Have a look at the exif for one of your 50D raw files in bridge. ...I'll bet it is there.
    Nope, just checked some old RAW files from the 50D and the subject distance is not listed in the EXIF, yet is listed with 7D and 1D Mark IV photographs. The latter two I don't need to even open in Bridge to see the subject distance, it's listed in the details of the jpeg by just right clicking and going to Properties > Details and subject distance is listed in metres. Weird
    Follow me on Facebook

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

I have a canon Kiss X4 which I am told is the same as a 550D. I don't get Subject Distance information in JPG or CR2 files directly from the camera. However, when I process a CR2 file in Photoshop CS5, the resultant JPG file contains the Subject Distance information. See http://www.feathersandphotos.com.au/...read.php?10537 taken with a Canon 300mm f/4 IS lens. and http://www.feathersandphotos.com.au/...ygnus-atratus) taken with a Canon 500mm f/4 IS lens. Hope this is some help.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Collins View Post
    I have a canon Kiss X4 which I am told is the same as a 550D. I don't get Subject Distance information in JPG or CR2 files directly from the camera. However, when I process a CR2 file in Photoshop CS5, the resultant JPG file contains the Subject Distance information. See http://www.feathersandphotos.com.au/...read.php?10537 taken with a Canon 300mm f/4 IS lens. and http://www.feathersandphotos.com.au/...ygnus-atratus) taken with a Canon 500mm f/4 IS lens. Hope this is some help.
    You are right on that one, I'm on a different computer at the moment so I went to the photography forum and saved one of my images from there and in the image details it has the subject distance! Thanks for the info, at least I know I can access it, because I like knowing it.

Thank you so much everyone for your help and info

An interesting piece of info though, I tried to look at the distance info for some other images of mine, and realised that it wasn't coming up with any of the EXIF data, I checked all of my other images. I then realised, that the first one I checked, was the only image I had not cropped before saving as a jpeg. So obviously, if you crop, it doesn't retain that information. So I would have to go back to my original raw files and simply resize and save them as a jpeg without cropping, just to check the distance to subject.
    Last edited by Rebecca Zanker; 01-09-2011 at 08:02 AM.
    Reposts welcome =)

Blog- Close Encounters of the Bird Kind. Updated 28/05/2014 "Courting Cuckoos"

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Quote Originally Posted by Bec Z View Post
    You are right on that one, I'm on a different computer at the moment so I went to the photography forum and saved one of my images from there and in the image details it has the subject distance! Thanks for the info, at least I know I can access it, because I like knowing it.

Thank you so much everyone for your help and info

An interesting piece of info though, I tried to look at the distance info for some other images of mine, and realised that it wasn't coming up with any of the EXIF data, I checked all of my other images. I then realised, that the first one I checked, was the only image I had not cropped before saving as a jpeg. So obviously, if you crop, it doesn't retain that information. So I would have to go back to my original raw files and simply resize and save them as a jpeg without cropping, just to check the distance to subject.
    My 7D and 1D Mark IV images still retain the distance info after I crop and apply other post processing. Maybe my computer just has the capability of reading more detailed EXIF as I don't have to access photoshop or bridge to view such data. Interesting though how it appears to be different from one cam to the next!
    Follow me on Facebook