View Poll Results: Enhanced WYSIWYG or Standard Editor as the site default?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! Enhanced WYSIWYG Editor for sure!

11 73.33%
  • Nah, stick to the standard editor!

1 6.67%
  • Don't care, I'll set it myself thank you very much!

3 20.00%

Thread: Forum Editor... Standard or WYSIWYG?

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details
    Blog Entries

Default Forum Editor... Standard or WYSIWYG?

A couple of months ago we upgraded to a newer version of vBulletin that came with a completely new editor (mentioned briefly HERE). Rather than throw too many new features at our members all at once, we didn't push the enhanced mode of the editor onto you all, rather we let you become accustomed to the standard editor which would feel more familiar and behave similarly to the old site.

Auto-Save

One feature however that has been there since the upgrade (and its usefulness will become apparent if you've read this thread) is the autosave feature. Every 60 seconds a little dialogue box will popup saying 'auto saved' at the bottom right of the editor. The practical upshot of this is, for example, if you forget to post or navigate away from the page by mistake, you can return to the thread and a new button reveals itself. Clicking the 'Restore Auto-Saved Content' button will restore all the text you've been working on since the last autosave was created!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	auto.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	27.7 KB 
ID:	11562

Paste from a Word Document

There is also a button in the new editor that allows you to paste in any content copied from a Word document into your post, it should retain any formatting that was present in the Word document.

Name:	pastefromword.jpg 
Size:	17.8 KB 
ID:	11560

WYSIWYG Enhanced Editor

The new editor also has an enhanced WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) mode that makes the editor behave more akin to a word processor. For example, when you choose to make a word or block of text in bold/italics/lists/underlined the standard editor will place the BBCode around the text... [B]bold[/B]... the enhanced WYSIWYG editor will turn the text to bold before your eyes instantly and will display as bold. The enhanced WYSIWYG editor feature can be set yourself in your General Settings. Currently by default we have it set to the standard editor, you can change it to the enhanced WYSIWYG editor and save your settings to swap editor mode.

Name:	change settings.jpg 
Size:	50.3 KB 
ID:	11561

Alternatively, you can switch between standard and enhanced editors whilst composing your post by using the button highlighted below.

Name:	WYSIWYG.jpg 
Size:	17.9 KB 
ID:	11564

Take the time to try out (in the test zone perhaps?) and compare the editor modes and let us know what mode you'd like set as the site's default editor!

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Thanks for bringing up this option Rich, I'll try them out and vote soon

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Thanks for the update, Richard. So well explained that even I understood it.
    Cheers,

George

Life List : 481 (Southern Cassowary, Etty Bay, QLD, Oct., 2016)

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

There must come a point in everyone's life - and it's getting bloody close in mine - when one cannot absorb any more new techology. Still, I learnt to use a wordprocessor yonks ago, so if that's all we are talking about, its OK by me. Will it make the birds any easier to find?
    Margaret Leggoe
    Never too old to learn.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

I am with Margaret, at times I am finding it hard to keep up with the changes.

It real simple for the younger brain to learn these changes, I am having trouble learning PSE 9 and have to keep looking up help to try and get the answer.

Just got a Canon 7D and that will be taking all my time up to learn some new tricks!!!

When I read the note on the top of the forum that states "enhanced WYSIWYG" I say to my self, What the #!%$, dose this mean and is it bad for our health.

Thanks Richard for trying to fill us in, a lot of us older members need help.
    Regards, Geoff Brown LITHGOW NSW

Reposts welcome

Flicker Account http://www.flickr.com/photos/geoff_brown/

Image Reposts
    No, don't edit

We'll join Geoff & Margaret's more mature aged club. Luckily Judy uses computers at the school where she works,
    otherwise I wouldn't be on this Forum. I transfer my images to our computer by using a card reader as I can't understand the techs of my Sony-Minolta camera. We don't use Photoshop at all. We're just hanging in there at the moment with the technology aspects of the Forum. We respect the fact that the majority of members are more techno savvy than us. Basically we're camping, bushwalking bird observers with longish lenses.
    Regards Keith

.Our land abounds in Nature's gifts. Of beauty rich and rare.

Life list total (seen by both of us) = 440 Latest addition Tawny Grassbird Ritamada Point QLD.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Quote Originally Posted by keith & judy humphreys View Post
    we'll join geoff & margaret's more mature aged club. Luckily judy uses computers at the school where she works,
    otherwise i wouldn't be on this forum. I transfer my images to our computer by using a card reader as i can't understand the techs of my sony-minolta camera. We don't use photoshop at all. We're just hanging in there at the moment with the technology aspects of the forum. We respect the fact that the majority of members are more techno savvy than us. Basically we're camping, bushwalking bird observers with longish lenses.
    Regards keith
    ditto.....
    The voices in my head may not be real, but they come up with some great ideas..

Cheers Rev.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Margaret Leggoe View Post
    Still, I learnt to use a wordprocessor yonks ago, so if that's all we are talking about, its OK by me. Will it make the birds any easier to find?
    I personally think it's easier to use than the standard editor as you see the changes take place before your eyes (like a word-processor) rather than seeing the code tags placed around your text. The same when inserting images inline into your posts, you'll see the image appear as a thumbnail (which you can double click on giving you extra layout options if you wish) rather than the attachment code.

As for making it easier to find birds... I only bloody wish it did!

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

I think the KISS principle is one that would be a very good principle for this forum.. Keep It Simple Stupid.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details
    Blog Entries

All new and current members are now set to use the advanced editor by default as it was clearly favoured by the majority of members that voted in the poll.

Should you want to revert to the standard editor, you still have the option any time to change the editor yourself as detailed in the first post of this thread.

Image Reposts
    Please ask

WYSIWYG should work fine with this site. Thanks for all of your hard work guys!

Cheers!

Don