Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Logging off

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Default Logging off

Since the upgrade, the site has been booting me off after a short time of non use. This arvo it booted me off after I had completed a lengthy email to a member which I had not yet sent. To say I'm pissed is an understatement. Is this something I can change in settings etc?

Image Reposts
    No, don't edit

I know the feeling. On the old site I typed out a whole Trip Report with attached images & explanations for each one. It took me ages. Must have been a time limit or something because it cr-pped itself & I lost the lot. Judy is a faster typist than me, so she redid everything & it posted fine.
    Regards Keith

.Our land abounds in Nature's gifts. Of beauty rich and rare.

Life list total (seen by both of us) = 440 Latest addition Tawny Grassbird Ritamada Point QLD.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Session Timeout is site wide setting that is currenty set to 900 seconds by the Admins. A user is logged out after 900 secs of inactivity. I will discuss this with the other admins/mods.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Quote Originally Posted by Keith & Judy Humphreys View Post
    I know the feeling. On the old site I typed out a whole Trip Report with attached images & explanations for each one. It took me ages. Must have been a time limit or something because it cr-pped itself & I lost the lot. Regards Keith
    Keith when you have a long report, type it out in Word & save as you go. Then you can copy & paste the word document into any post on the forum. If you want to try this sort of thing out use the Test Zone forum to get the hang of it.
    Cheers,
    Geoff

reposts welcome

Image Reposts
    No, don't edit

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Gates View Post
    Keith when you have a long report, type it out in Word & save as you go. Then you can copy & paste the word document into any post on the forum. If you want to try this sort of thing out use the Test Zone forum to get the hang of it.
    Thanks for the suggestion Geoff we'll be doing that in future. Looking back I think it may of happened to me twice?
    Our Trip reports are quite short compared to some, that's because of the time restriction. We've had to cut out a lot of interesting content in the past as well as shortening the list of species highlights that we observed.
    Cheers Keith

.Our land abounds in Nature's gifts. Of beauty rich and rare.

Life list total (seen by both of us) = 440 Latest addition Tawny Grassbird Ritamada Point QLD.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

While we discuss session timeout settings. One possible way of working around this, if your browser privacy settings allow, is to click "remember me" at the top of the page when logging on. A cookie will be stored on your system, so the next time you login the session will be expanded.

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Thanks Gerard

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details
    Blog Entries

There is an autosave feature (useful for this sort of situation) which has been part of the forum software for the past couple of months, there's some information on this and more in this thread HERE.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

We have increased the session timeout to 30 mins. Hopefully along with the autosave feature and the use of the "remember me" tick box there will be no more instances of data loss.

10. The following user says thank you to Gerard Satherley for their reply:

Richard Hall (25-08-2011)

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Cheers fellas, thanks for all your help.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Why have a timeout feature at all? It seems a bit ridiculous to try and get people to your site then kick them off after a set time frame. Aren't you discouraging people from posting more by doing that? I imagine some people will rather just go do other things rather than have to continually log back in again.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

The time-out feature is more for account security than anything else. If your internet settings are set to be saved and your log-in is set to remember you, anyone on your computer can open the website and start posting under your name. With a time-out, if you leave your computer and forget to sign-out or are away for longer than expected for some reason, it logs you out so it can't happen.
    Reposts welcome =)

Blog- Close Encounters of the Bird Kind. Updated 28/05/2014 "Courting Cuckoos"

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Quote Originally Posted by Bec Z View Post
    The time-out feature is more for account security than anything else. If your internet settings are set to be saved and your log-in is set to remember you, anyone on your computer can open the website and start posting under your name. With a time-out, if you leave your computer and forget to sign-out or are away for longer than expected for some reason, it logs you out so it can't happen.
    Thanks but I'm quite aware of what the feature is about and how it works.
    I just think it's counter productive at a site like this. This site isn't one that attracts the sort of younger riff-raff that would do things like that so having a setting like this enabled disadvantages those people who use this site responsibly.

Why would people want to join a site where if they leave their PC for a short period of time they are forced to log back in again? I belong to quite a few forums, some of them restricted and which have a cause for security, and others that aren't, and none of them have this enabled.

It seems if you want to encourage people to post, then make it as easy and fuss-free as possible. I would say the majority of postings come from people at home or who are on a trusted computer so this enabling this setting doesn't make too much sense.

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Mark - why not just tick the remember me box next to the log in? That way we can essentially have it both ways. I never have any problems with this setting. I just come back and refresh the page or click on another one without any issues. I don't need to log in again so it doesn't take any more time at all. If you are on a trusted computer at home then this gives you that freedom of security or not. I must admit I don't think it is such a big deal that people would not join the site because of it or cease to post.
    I also often type out trip reports in Word etc as i will sometimes post to Birding-Aus too and use the same text. The autosave feature of the forum now is also excellent.
    Also (and I know this point is relevant to the admins) if people were just continually logged on the data about who is online/active etc becomes irrelevant.
    Cheers, Dave

www.davidstowe.com.au WORKSHOPS

Aus Life List IOC= 684 - Grey Honeyeater
    "So God created every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:21

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Hi Dave,
    It's not an issue for me, (though I have had the same thing happen to me as had happened to pictorella), but I can see it being an issue for others.
    My train of thought, that I don't think I've communicated very effectively, is that people generally want as hassle free a surfing experience as possible. Given that in a recent post some people expressed their dislike to technical and complicated processes and also given that birding seems to attract an older group of people who may not be all that comfortable with computers and the like, then in that light I could see this feature being a possible hindrance that might discourage people from joining or participating.