Thread: 1D Mk III shooters?

Tony Hansford Guest

Default 1D Mk III shooters?

Does anyone here use the 1D Mk3 for birding? I have seen one for sale but there are some reports that it's A1 servo focus is dodgy even in bright sunny conditions. If anyone here uses this model what are your thoughts about it?

I tried searching but the search tool is being a tool and telling me 1d, mark, & III are too shorter terms

Tony Hansford Guest

I discovered that "" works when searching. ANd that Mike Toms & Charleybird have the Mk3 and their images are awesome.

Image Reposts
    Please ask

It's a mixed bag by all accounts, some people claim they have no issues with them, others great deal of difficulty particularly if it's bright and sunny, it appears they are inconsistent, I would recommend finding out the serial number and checking if was produced before or after "sub mirror " fix was introduced and ideally testing Ai servo in bright sunny conditions before buying. You should be able to find details on the sub mirror fix on Google. I think static images have different problems to using it for birds in flight with Ai Servo. So in summary it appears there are good MkIIIs out there and really bad ones and seeing good results from one user is no guarantee that the one you buy will be as good. The image quality can't be faulted though!
    Chris Ross
    Helensburgh NSW
    www.aus-natural.com
    Instagram: @ausnaturalimages

4. The following user says thank you to ChrisRoss for their reply:

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Yeah I got one Tony and I love mine, camera has a long and tedious history though...... check the serial number if can and check on the canon website for the affected model and make sure it does not fall into the serial numbers that canon say may have issues, I imagine some shooters out there have this model with a problem but are still unaware because if you are not shooting fast moving objects to obtain focus lock you may not even realise that the camera has an issue.

Mike

6. The following user says thank you to Mike Toms for their reply:

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Tony, since 2009 i'm using 1DMK III and no issues at all. AF is spot on and never missed a shot. first few batches of id mk III had problems in AF and sub mirror. you can find those serial numbers in canon USA site.

http://downloads.canon.com/cpr/softw...umbers_adv.pdf

http://usa.canon.com/cusa/profession...01e0248004cd3d
    Last edited by colorfulpages; 18-09-2011 at 12:12 PM.

8. The following user says thank you to colorfulpages for their reply:

Image Reposts
    Please ask

A great body and a step up from the MkIIN IMO. I never owned one but borrowed a number from Canon over a couple of years and never had any issues.
    (I have more issues with AF on my MkIV to be honest!)
    Cheers, Dave

www.davidstowe.com.au WORKSHOPS

Aus Life List IOC= 684 - Grey Honeyeater
    "So God created every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:21

Tony Hansford Guest

I was watching a Mk3 on ebay that had no bids and started at $1200. It ended up going for $2650 Someone got an as-new camera for a fraction of what a new one is worth, but not me. I have more or less decided to save up for a 7d instead. The reason being that I can use the 500mm on a 7d and have an AF 800mm at f/4.5. But on with the 1d + 1.4x teleconverter it would be AF 910mm but at f/6.7. So I figure I am better off not using the TC and having a faster f/4.5 lens with the 7d after seeing the quality of images on here shot with the 7d. If that makes any sense. Thanks all for your help.