Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canon 7D

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default Canon 7D

Hi everyone.
    I have a question for 7D users. What AF section do you use?
    There are 3 to choose from. 1. single point. 2. zone AF, 3.19 point auto select.
    I have been using number 1, and was thinking would number 2 be better...Thanks.
    The voices in my head may not be real, but they come up with some great ideas..

Cheers Rev.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Hi Ray,

If you haven't already, I suggest you read the below guide to setting up your 7D for bird photography. I've found this reference invaluable.

http://www.deepgreenphotography.com/...-new-canon-7d/

3. The following user says thank you to Adam Blyth for their reply:

Ray Walker (19-08-2011)

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

It depends on what I am photographing at that time. Because most of the birds I photograph are usually stationary, or close to it, I'll use single point AF most of the time. I find it's the most versatile for allowing me to decide what part of the bird I want to be the sharpest. Of course adjusting your apeture and DOF also factors in here as well.
    For birds in flight I've mostly used 19 point auto select, but recently I've tried to use zone AF as I found that sometimes the 19 point auto select would grab onto a wing tip rather than the body of the bird. Whereas with Zone select I have more control over keeping sharpness in a zone, usually the zone that contains the birds head, is working better for me these days.

5. The following user says thank you to Mark Young for their reply:

Ray Walker (19-08-2011)

Image Reposts
    No, don't edit

Mark, from my experience and what the best bird photographers seem to all agree on is that it's still best to use center point for BIF. If you have assist points like the 1D series (I know nothing about the 7D sorry and maybe the zone thing is what you're talking about) then you could set the expand option in case the selected point (center in this case) misses focus due to irregular flight or whatever. But using the center AF point and having expanded AF assist points will give you the best possibilities.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Yeah, 7D doesn't have "expanded" focus point custom function. I'd stick with AI servo with the single point function enabled.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

I have been reading the link that Adam put ( which I find very interesting)up and was wondering ..are there people here that shoot in the "M " mode. I have always used "AV", but I am always looking for new ways to improve my photography.

Cheers Rev.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

The 7D does have expanded AF points as I use them quite a lot. When I say expandable, it's only 1 point above, below, left and right of the centre AF point. To enable this, go into the menu and go to C.Fn.III and go to number 6 which is "Select AF area selec. mode. You will then see a diagram which has one larger square surrounded by 4 smaller squares. Go to "Register" and then put a tick in the box next to that diagram. Then go to "Enable". You will then have centre point AF with 4 expandable focus points. Basically this means that if your subject wonders off the centre point AF, one of the surrounding 4 will pick up focus. It always focuses using the centre point AF first (unless you select another point). I find it works great for stationary birds and BIFs, but you may have a different experience. The expanded AF function is not one that many people know about as it's hidden in the menu - those that own 7Ds, I suggest you explore that function and see if you get any better results. Maybe I am just lucky with regards to AF

With regards to "M" mode, I only use it if I have time to set up exposure. If I am on a general outing and don't know what I will be photographing, I always stick to Av (aperture priority) and just dial in positive or negative exposure compensation as required, or increase/decrease ISO depending upon what shutter speed I am getting. I use Av probably 95% of the time
    Last edited by Dale Mengel; 20-08-2011 at 12:33 PM.
    Aust. Life List (IOC) - 315 (Rufous Owl- 11/09/2014)
    Dale Mengel Photography - a work in progress!
    Follow me on Facebook
    Check out my Birding Blog

10. The following user says thank you to Dale Mengel for their reply:

Ray Walker (20-08-2011)

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Walker View Post
    I have been reading the link that Adam put ( which I find very interesting)up and was wondering ..are there people here that shoot in the "M " mode. I have always used "AV", but I am always looking for new ways to improve my photography.
    I use Manual mode for 99% of my shooting. A thread may have been started some time ago (perhaps on previous versions of the forum) on the subject. One of the mods may shed some light on where it is.
    Cheers,

George

Life List : 481 (Southern Cassowary, Etty Bay, QLD, Oct., 2016)

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Can't remember the thread George is talking about unfortunately. I only use manual mode in difficult situations and use AV mode 99% of the time.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Mengel View Post
    With regards to "M" mode, I only use it if I have time to set up exposure. If I am on a general outing and don't know what I will be photographing, I always stick to Av (aperture priority) and just dial in positive or negative exposure compensation as required, or increase/decrease ISO depending upon what shutter speed I am getting. I use Av probably 95% of the time
    Same, except 99% of the time for me!

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Yes, Dale's comments regarding expandable AF points on the 7D is correct. For BIF I tend to use the centre AF point most often but do use the expanded points on occasion.

Just experiment Ray (expect to miss a few captures along the way). You will quickly become aware of what works in what situation (basically knowing the capabilities of your equipment) and also what works best for you.

With regards to Manual mode I use it almost 100% of the time for BIF. With perched subjects I usually use Aperture priority though when the light is fairly constant I will use Manual mode.
    Cheers,
    Geoff

reposts welcome

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Just experiment Ray
    Yeah, I am doing a fair bit of that at the moment Geoff. What settings do you use in "M" mode.?

Cheers Rev.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

What settings do you use in "M" mode.?
    I presume you mean for BIF? I think it is a case of the blind leading the blind here but this is basically what I do.

Depends on the targeted bird but I try to get a shutter speed close to 1/2000 and expose to the right. With your setup I would set the aperture to f/5.6 & ISO 400 & obviously shutter speed to 1/2000. Take a few test shots in the setting i expect to be taking the shots. Then check the histogram.

1. If you have data in the right hand box nudging towards the RHS you have got pretty good exposure.
    2. If you have highlight clipping then you can decide whether to increase the shutter speed/lower the ISO/stop down (or a combination of any or all of those) to obtain the required exposure.
    3. If you do not have data in the righthand box you need to up the ISO or compromise on the shutter speed and lower that.

After all that you will need to make adjustments for say a black bird or a white bird. ~ Believe me you learn exposure very quickly when you shoot in manual mode.
    Also take a test shot at intervals to ensure you are maintaining correct exposure (if the light is changing).

Now some might say, just shoot in Aperture priority mode but the problem here is when the BG changes ( say from sky to trees), the camera will lower the shutter speed increasing your chances of unintentional blur, where as in manual mode you will still have the shutter speed that you set and the bird will still be exposed correctly even though the BG will be under-exposed.

I hope that makes sense.
    Cheers,
    Geoff

reposts welcome

17. The following user says thank you to Geoff Gates for their reply:

Ray Walker (22-08-2011)

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

I hope that makes sense.
    It will once it all sinks in..hopefully.
    Thanks again.

Cheers Rev.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

It will once it all sinks in..hopefully.
    Thanks again.
    Forgot to mention ~ check the cameras analogue scale to determine how far over/under the camera's metered exposure you are for your manual settings just the same as you would when in Aperture priority mode.

Good luck.
    Cheers,
    Geoff

reposts welcome