Thread: Tips needed for shooting pelagic birds from boats

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default Tips needed for shooting pelagic birds from boats

Need some advise from the much more experienced members on shooting pelagic birds from boats.
    I will be doing my very first SOSSA Pelagic trip in October (September if places become available as I am 5th on the waiting list), and was wondering if members of the forum with much more experience in shooting on these trips can advise me on which is the best equipment and technique to use on these trips.

While shooting in the Arctic (on the big boats and on the zodiacs... http://www.diverkevin.com/ArcticAnta...1_R3xkw6m-A-LB), and fishing boats in Hokkaido, I was able to shoot with my 600mm on the tripod. This is only because there is enough space on board and the water is not too rough. I also shoot handheld with my 300mm f2.8 from the zodiacs and smaller boats in Scotland with poorer results.

I assume that space is premium on the SOSSA trips and the seas would be rougher. Hence I would probably have to adopt the handheld method. I do have the 100 - 400 mm lens, (and the 300 mm f2.8 which is sitting in my dry cabi in Singapore... sigh!) which would give me the advantage of focal length flexibility at the expense of image quality.

Can anyone advise me what is the expectations and the best equipment set and techniques to adopt during the SOSSA trips.

Thank you

Eric
    Last edited by Eric Tan; 07-08-2011 at 02:27 PM.
    Eric SJ Tan
    Mountains & Beyond

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

I haven't been on a pelagic but I think the 100-400mm will be your best bet Eric.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

G'day Eric,

If I had a 300/2.8 'd be using it in conjunction with a 1.4X. You have, of course, the option of taking the 1.4X off. While this will not give you the flexibility of a 100-400 I suppose it comes down to what's more important; picture quality or versaltility. Robert Royse in the USA uses his 300/2.8 exclusively on pelagics and his shots are amazing.
    www.roysephotos.com
    Whatever you choose just be prepared to have lots of failures

cheers
    Rob

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

I would go with the 100-400mm Eric, I'm no expert but I'm on the water more than most. I find 1/1600 to be a good shutter speed in TV mode. I find if you are using burly the birds will come in close, so I'm getting away with the 70-200mm. Jack.
    Jack Shick
    Sea to Summit Expeditions

www.lordhoweislandtours.net

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

I agree with Rob, as you are likely to produce a better quality image with the 300mm f/2.8. I would also think that the 300mm would be quicker to focus, which can be a critical element given that most of your images will be flight shots. The 300mm f2.8 will also give you more flexibility with low light that can often be an issue at the start and end of full day pelagics. Due to the length of the average pelagic you will have the opportunity to change lens at some stage. For instance I prefer my 70-200mm zoom for close in work and portraits.
    In your circumstance I'd take the 300mm, 100-400mm and 1.4 TC. Start with the 300mm f/2.8 and see how you go. I've completed about 10 pelagics here and overseas and have now settled on using; 300mm, 70-200mm and a 1.4 TC.. I have the tried the 80-400mm Nikon zoom , but found both the focus acquisition and image quality to be lacking.
    Make sure you take some basic lens cleaning gear in case you get spray on your lens.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Thanks to all of you for your valued advice. I really appreciate this
    Eric SJ Tan
    Mountains & Beyond

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Agree with Gerard for sure. I have really enjoyed using my 70-200 f4 IS with a 1.4x. Often on the way back in in the afternoon you will have terns and gulls especially right over your head. I have also used both my 300 f4 and 500 f4 with great results on that boat depending on the conditions of course for the 500!
    I shoot manually as the birds are constantly going above and below the horizon which gives wildly different exposures if you are in any auto mode like Tv or Av. You will find you will have two different settings that you will change between : one for white birds eg Albatross, and one for dark birds eg Shearwaters. Especially late in the afternoon the light reflecting off an albatross is incredibly bright and easy to overexpose.
    Can you please invent a miracle drug for me to ban seasickness Eric?
    Cheers, Dave

www.davidstowe.com.au WORKSHOPS

Aus Life List IOC= 684 - Grey Honeyeater
    "So God created every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:21