• AUSTRALIAN BIRD IMAGES FORUM - POSTING TEMPLATES

We're implementing a new site feature that should help clarify the required information that must be posted in the Australian Bird Images (A.B.I) forum when creating a new thread and posting an image as per our image posting rules. It will also greatly help by presenting this information in a clear, easy to read and standardised format for all members.

To save the need for copying and pasting or typing in large amounts of text, we've made this process as easy as possible for members to use by implementing the use of templates. Once you start a new thread in the A.B.I forum, members need to just click an item from a drop-down menu. This will insert a template with the required information fields already laid out and formatted into your new thread. Members need just fill in the fields with all the relevant information before uploading the image and posting the thread. The use of the new template feature for the A.B.I forum is mandatory for all new, posted image threads.

The following instructions may look long and arduous but in reality it takes about 5 seconds to insert a template!

[top]Inserting the template into a thread

1. First start by clicking the + Post New Thread button as normal to create a new thread in the A.B.I forum (see How to: Create a thread and post images).
    2. When the editor appears, click the button at the end of the editor's toolbar called, Post Template.
    3. A drop-down menu will appear, left click the A.B.I. Posting Template link from the menu to insert the template into your post (Figure 1).
    4. The template will appear in your post after a short one or two second pause.

Figure 1: Inserting the template

[top]Entering required information into the template

1. Once you've clicked on the A.B.I. Posting Template, wait for a second or two whilst the template is inserted into your editor's text area (Figure 2).
    2. Proceed to enter the relevant information after each field in the template.
    3. All information fields in the template are required to be filled in. This includes detailing the use of call playback, baits, set-ups etc in the Attraction Aides field unless the field is inapplicable, for example: no flash was used or no attraction aides were used, in which case you may leave the field blank or enter NONE.
    4. The notes field is where you may enter any background story or information you wish to present along with the technical data.

Figure 2: Fill in the empty fields

[top]Internet Explorer (IE) Issue and Workaround

In testing I've found a small issue when using templates and Internet Explorer 11 (quite likely other versions too) where IE will insert extra, unwanted spaces into the template. The easy workaround at this time is as follows (use another browser) or:

Change the editor from WYSIWYG (What you see is what you get) to Source Mode by clicking the button that looks like A/A at the top left of the editor toolbar (Figure 3).

Figure 3: Change the editor to Source Mode

Insert the template as per Figure 1. The template will enter and appear as BBCode (Figure 4).

Figure 4: Template will appear as BBCode when in Source Mode

Click the Switch Editor Mode button again to return the editor to WYSIWYG mode and the code will appear as normal without extra spacing (Figure 5).

Figure 5: Change back to WYSIWYG mode and the template returns to normal

[top]Example of a completed template and post

The following is an example of an inserted and completed template as would be posted in the A.B.I. forum.

Species
    Common Name: Red-kneed Dotterel
    Scientific Name: Erythrogonys cinctus

Date: 25/01/2015

Camera Details
    Brand/Model: Canon EOS 7D
    Lens: Canon 400mm f/5.6

Camera Settings
    ISO: 800
    F-Stop: f/6.3
    Shutter Speed: 1/800s
    Exposure Bias/Metering/Flash: -2/3EV, Aperture Priority, No Flash

Technique: Hand-held, laying prone amongst reeds

Attraction Aides: NONE

Post Production: Minor crop, reduce highlights, slight NR to background, selective sharpen of subject

Notes: Whilst laying patiently hoping a pair of Pectoral Sandpipers would cross before my lens, I was happy to have this curious Red-kneed Dotterel approach me very closely. I did end up photographing the sandpipers but this was my favourite image from the session.

Click image for a larger version
    This article was originally published in forum thread: *** AUSTRALIAN BIRD IMAGES FORUM - POSTING TEMPLATES *** started by Richard Hall View original post