• "MEET A MEMBER" #13 GeorgeP

George is a long time member of Feathers @ Photos and is both an avid birder and bird photographer. Not just happy with record shots, George strives to create beautiful images of the birds the he is observing. Coming from Victoria, George is lucky to have Werribee as one of his hunting grounds and takes full advantage of what the location has to offer.

What is the first thing you think of in the morning?

I wonder what’s for dinner tonight. I LOVE my food and I'm fortunate because I'm married to someone who enjoys cooking. It's gastronomic bliss!

What attracted you to avian photography?

I have always had an interest in birds and it was a desire to record my sightings that led me to avian photography.

What was the first bird you photographed? Did you know the species?

I think it was a Rainbow Lorikeet.

What is it about avian photography that keeps you coming back for more?

First, the number of bird species that call this country their home. I have barely photographed a quarter of Australia's species so, for me, there are many more years of bird photography ahead. Second, I'm always trying to improve on the last shot that I took of a particular species.

Which nature photographers are you most inspired by? Why are they such an inspiration?

I must plead ignorance about big-name commercial bird photographers. I think a lot of our forum members are outstanding photographers and their work definitely inspires me. The superb quality of their images gives me something to aim for in my photography.

If you could choose anyone to join you on a shoot, who would that someone be?

My birding mate Jack, with whom I've been on many birding trips and competed in the annual BA twitchathon.

What was the first camera & lens combo you used for avian photography?

It was a Yashica FX-7 film camera with a 70-200 zoom.

What is your current kit? Why did you upgrade?

My current kit is a Canon 40D with a Canon 100-400mm zoom and prior to that a Lumix FZ-50. I had always planned to upgrade to a DSLR because I purchased the Lumix as my intro. to digital photography.

Do you prefer to shoot in the morning or afternoon? Why do you prefer this part of the day.

Either is fine for me because IMO the light is beautiful at both ends of the day. If the birds are co-operating, I'm happy to shoot them.

When the light turns bad do you end the session?

I am a birder first and a bird photographer a very distant second, so if an opportunity to photograph an uncommon species presents itself, I'll keep shooting regardless of light conditions.

Have you any interests besides birds when it comes to photography?

Yes, I enjoy photographing native terrestrial orchids for which I have retained the Lumix. Eventually I will buy a macro lens for the 40D and retire the Lumix. A couple of the forum members share my interest in orchids so I have a source of inspiration for that side of my photography, too. My other passion is aircraft photography. I trained for my pilot's license about thirty years ago and regularly attend air shows.

Do you have a dream location where you would love to spend a week(or longer) photographing the native animals?

I think anywhere in sub-Saharan Africa or Central America would be great. A close second would be the location where one of my heroes studied the local critters - the Galapagos Islands.

Do you have a favourite location? If so where is it?

My favourite Australian location would be anywhere within a 500km radius of Alice Springs. I love the red sand, blue sky and grey-green spinifex - it's such a beautiful environment and the birdlife is fantastic.

How often do you get out to photograph birds?

About once a week but I would like to increase that to daily when (if?) I eventually retire.

What are you trying to portray in your work?

There's nothing artistic at all about my photography because I don't have an artistic bone in my body. I like to show the bird as I would see it in the field, which of course, includes a bit of its habitat.

One depicting my hi-tech birdhide (taken by Geoff Gates).

Shortly after the authorities gave me permission to bore holes in the sky (I'm on the left). It was taken at Moorabbin airport in 1984, back when time had not yet robbed me of hair colour.

From an F & P outing to the Western Treatment Plant, I'm on the left again (taken by Paul Randall).
    This article was originally published in forum thread: "MEET A MEMBER" #13 GeorgeP started by Chris M View original post