• Articles RSS Feed

by Published on 28-12-2013 04:16 PM  Number of Views: 1156 
    1. Categories:
    2. Announcements
    Article Preview

"Birds of Prey of Australia - A Field Guide" - Second Edition

Stephen Debus / CSIRO Publishing

Like many birders, I have long been fascinated by raptors.

I have no idea if it is the aggressive masculine appeal of the carnivore, or simply the amazement at the speed or size of this family of birds, but I have always loved our birds of prey.
    Found throughout our vast country, and often quite conspicuous, the correct identification of our 24 mainland raptors has confused and baffled the best birders. Indeed some species even elude some of our best twitchers!
    The standard field guides devote extra pages to showing underwing patterns etc which are great, but ever since I picked up my first edition of Stephen Debus’ “The Birds of Prey of Australia - A Field Guide”, i was hooked. ...
    by Published on 12-12-2013 12:27 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Announcements
    Article Preview

Pizzey & Knight Birds of Australia Digital Edition (iPad App)

If you are like me you’ve probably been excited and desperately waiting for the release ever since the ads started appearing in Birdlife Australia magazine months ago!
    So its great news that its finally here!

Right from the start i have to confess that i have contributed some photos to the app. That communication led me to being involved in testing the iPad/iPhone version of the app over the last few weeks leading up to its release. However I have no vested interest in how well it sells etc. I am basing my review using the iPad version.

Pizzey & Knight has always been my field guide of choice. I have long enjoyed the realistic , well drawn illustrations, and informative text. So to have it now in App form is fantastic.
    by Published on 17-11-2013 03:02 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Member Interviews
    Article Preview

Keith & Judy are long time members and joined when Feathers & Photos was known by a different name.
    A formidable duo when armed with cameras and binocular, Keith & Judy put fear into the eyes of any birds they encounter K & J spend their days travelling Australia experiencing and enjoying the natural beauty of this great land.

What is the first thing you think of in the morning?

5am rise, coffee, walk our Boxer dog and say good morning to the resident Tawny Frogmouth around the corner on our way.

For how long have you both been birding?

Almost 50 years for Keith after he joined the Gould League and bought “An Australian Bird Book” by J. A. Leach in year 6.
    Almost 40 years ago for Judy when we began camping and bushwalking. ...
    by Published on 21-06-2013 10:13 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Member Interviews
    Article Preview

Duade is another member from NSW who's passion is bird photography. Duade has made a whirlwind journey from snapping shots of unknown birds to photographing target species all in a little under two years. His enthusiasm & participation on the forum speaks for itself and as result was selected by the co-owners to help moderator F&P.

I am a morning person so I get up around 5.20am. If it’s a work day I am usually thinking how many more days until I can get out into the field. I usually have my ipad next to the bed so I will usually quickly scan the forum and FB to see what’s new. Then off to work I go :-)

If it’s a birding morning my main thought is “I hope there are no clouds and please give me some nice light.” I will usually attempt to get to my location as the sun is coming up to make the most of the nice light.
    by Published on 28-03-2013 06:50 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Member Interviews
    Article Preview

Josh is another of our younger bird lovers who resides in NSW. Enthusiasm is a common trait with the younger birders and Josh is bucket loads of it! Experience is generally something that comes with age but the new breed of birders on top of their game and Josh is up there with them.

If it’s a normal day, I would think something along the lines of “I’ll just go back to sleep now”. If I’m about to go birding however, I quite easily give myself the pump of adrenaline needed to jump straight out of bed.

How long have you been birding?
    Well, when I was 5 and was sitting on Santa’s lap, I asked (very specifically) for the 6th Edition of Simpson and Day’s Field Guide to the Birds of Australia (much to the surprise of Santa, who apparently went up to my parents afterwards and told them how refreshing it was to have a child ask for something useful)! So essentially, I’ve been looking at and identifying birds for my whole life. My young-spongy 5-year-old-brain quickly soaked up the field guide, so birds have become something like an extension of the alphabet. ...
    by Published on 18-02-2013 07:31 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Member Interviews
    Article Preview

It’s time to reveal a little more about the man behind the mask. Chris Martinez has been responsible for instigating and conducting these interviews, so it’s time to turn the tables. Hopefully Chris will add some images.

What got you interested in bird photography?

I had bought my first DSLR, a Canon 400D and like many folks I was madly photographing anything I could think of. My photography skills were non-existent. My first frames were black and I had to scratch my head to figure out how to get a reasonable exposure of the wall in the lounge room. One day I was in the front yard and noticed a bird I was unfamiliar with. The only birds I knew the names of were Lorikeets, Magpies, Cockatoos & Galahs. I don't know why but needed to know what this mysterious bird was. I captured a few frames with my 70-300 lens and posted a photo online. The bird turned out to be a male Figbird and from then on I was hooked. ...
    by Published on 02-02-2013 08:04 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Educational / Tutorials
    Article Preview

I have been posting several shots recently taken in the bush using water to lure in the birds. I located a natural watering ...
    by Published on 05-01-2013 01:20 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Member Interviews
    Article Preview

Bec is a young woman from South Australia who has a passion for nature and the outdoors. Like all of us here Bec has a special interest in birds and when there is some free time, Bec can be found stalking her local parks observing and recording the species that inhabit them. Bec has also spent a little time in Florida and naturally took every opportunity she had to get out and experience some of the wildlife that the northern hemisphere has to offer. With camera in one hand and binos in the other Bec can feel at peace immersed by nature and what it has to offer.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast